Board selection for analog servo drives

More
11 Aug 2023 02:25 #277588 by Trav328
Hi , I just picked up a 1996 standard modern lathe with a bad centurion controller , the lathe uses parker MPA analog drives and servos.

A  bit in the selection of boards , I require analog control +/- 10v for the mpa drives for axis and spindle , the drives require a sinking control to enable/reset but the rest of the machine runs on a 24v system for all limits

the drives have resolvers but output a simulated encoder signal for linuxcnc , the spindle (also a mpa drive) has a heidenhan encoder as well as a resolver.

I will also need to control a pragati tool changer that has a small 3 phase motor with a absolute encoder (i havent tore into this much yet)

thankful for any help in selection you guys/gals can offer , happy to be back on a forum its been a few years.

I also understand that boards are in short supply , I don't have a problem waiting a couple months for the right combo.

Attached is a picture of the drive wiring diagram

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2023 02:33 #277589 by Trav328
Attachments:

More
11 Aug 2023 03:42 #277592 by PCW
Mesa should have 7I97T cards in 6 weeks (basically the same as a 7I97 but with a different FPGA)

More
11 Aug 2023 04:19 #277596 by Trav328
Thanks for the fast reply , that looks like the ticket , I will keep an eye out for them to come avilable

More
11 Aug 2023 14:39 #277643 by jmelson
One option is the Pico Systems PPMC, a set of boards with encoder counter, D/A converter and digital I/O. I did a retrofit on a similar machine with MTS servos, with resolvers where the drives make a quadrature output. It worked quite well.
(full disclosure, I am Pico Systems.)
See: pico-systems.com/osc2.5/catalog/index.php?cPath=1
for more info.
Jon

More
11 Aug 2023 14:49 #277644 by Trav328
Thanks,  I will look into the pico aswell

More
13 Aug 2023 15:13 #277835 by msrdiesel
"I will also need to control a pragati tool changer that has a small 3 phase motor with a absolute encoder (i havent tore into this much yet)"

I have used 3 phase solid state relays for this purpose, you can use a digital output and hold it "HIGH" to perform the rotation until whatever sensor is triggered.

They tend to be well over-rated so buy one bigger than you need if you go this route. I have used these successfully in upgrading a Tos Hostivar OD grinder to touch screen control.

Here is a link to the relay: www.amazon.com/Baomain-Phase-JGX-3340A-4...ay%2Caps%2C92&sr=8-3

More
13 Aug 2023 15:23 #277836 by COFHAL
What servo motor are you using?

More
13 Aug 2023 16:05 - 13 Aug 2023 16:07 #277838 by COFHAL
I think it is the only solution to control several analog servos with resolvers
, I am controlling a single Parker analog servo with a 7i33TA and a 7i96 with a special firmare that replaces step 4 with PWM and dir, thanks PCW. Since those MPA servos have a simulated incremental encoder output with a resolution of 1024, I connected it to the encoder input of the 7i96 and with that I have feedback of the servo motor position.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2023 16:07 by COFHAL.

More
14 Aug 2023 22:27 #278007 by Trav328
Thanks for the input , "msrdiesel" i watched the videos of your fadal and that is the inspiration for my front panel , very nice  and clean looking job, 
i have used those solid state relays for other projects and they work good , my powder coating oven has 3 of the single phase ones in it.

im only going to be running single phase to the machine as its all i have and the amps support it , i might look into swapping the tool change motor for something else or use a vfd/dps to run it , its only small. 

"cofhal" , i dont know what the servos are they are burried and not pleasant to get to , the drives are 1996 MTS (now parker hannifin) MPA-06 for the axis , and MPA-50 for the spindle , running in single phase mode , the drives seem very user friendly and i have found quite a few manuals online for them , the spindle has 4 winding selections that equal 3 "ranges" for now its just going to stay locked in low but its setup to be controlled by 2 relays. the spindle also has a dedicated heidenhan encoder . i will be using the simulated encoder for the axis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: msrdiesel

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds