7i96S and Emergency / E-Stop

More
30 Aug 2023 10:02 #279363 by kevin_allein
Hi all, I have a CNC lathe, that I used to run with MACH4 and the Ethernet Smooth Stepper and want to convert it to LinuxCNC now.
I connected the Ethernet Smooth Stepper to parallel breakout boards from Langenfeld for Step / Dir ( www.pro-tos.de/shop/Interface/Parallel-Interface-12-5.html ) and also their analog spindle drive ( www.pro-tos.de/shop/Interface/Frequenzum...euerung-0---10V.html )
This had the benefit, that the signal from the E-Stop would directly stop both the spindle as well as all Steppers immediately without needing to go through the PC (in case of any problems)
I now ordered a MESA 7i96S (basically the only thing I could find). This would obviously not require the Langenfeld cards anymore, but how can I get the same functionality with direct E-Stop not relying on LinuxCNC ?
To use the P1 connector I would need a special bit file mapping Step and Dir to the correct pins of that header. But once I need a special bit file, I could also implement the logic in the FPGA to gat everything with an E-Stop signal.
So do I need to write a custom bit file ? Is there a getting started guide ? There seems to be lots of info on the web about creating bit files for the XILINX FPGAs used before, but I read, that the 7i96S is using a different FPGA.

Thanks for any help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2023 14:55 #279382 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 7i96S and Emergency / E-Stop
I suppose its possible to do this in the FPGA but
you can do the same thing with LinuxCNC's ESTOP logic
and an external ESTOP input.

If LinuxCNC crashes or loses communications
the step outputs and spindle output/enable will
automatically be disabled by the watchdog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds