Mesa Configuration Tool: 7I95T with Step/Dir, Encoders & PWM

More
01 Nov 2023 06:54 #284239 by mh300
Hello LinuxCNC Community,

I recently ordered a 7I95T for use on my milling machine retrofit. While it is being shipped I am looking into how to setup the configuration on the LinuxCNC side.
I have 3 Servo Drives that I want to interface using Step/Dir, glass scales on the axis that I want to interface using TTL signals, one VFD for the spindle that I want to interface using PWM (with PWM -> 0-10V module in between) and an encoder for the spindle.

Since Pncconf does not support this card I have installed the Mesa Configuration Tool (2.0.3) and tried to configure the card - but there are several issues I ran into:

1. Can't select any encoders in the firmware options. No matter which firmware I select, 0 Encoders are always the only option available.

2. I can't change any settings on the Spindle tab to set up the PWM output for spindle control. (With "7i95t_1pwmd.bin" and PWM Generators set to 1 on the firmware tab)

Also, are the configuration tools strictly needed or is there any documentation available on how to set this up in a HAL file directly? Do I need to flash new firmware on the card to get the PWM Output or can I just use the default firmware?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
mh300

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: gothia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2023 22:35 #284386 by tommylight
Attached is a working config for 7i95 (not the T version although it should work as is).
Never mind the naming, it is modified from a 7i96 config, things you should probably change for starters is the card name in the ini file from 7i95 to 7i95T.
Then remove whatever refers to PlasmaC, as this is for a plasma machine, meaning it has no spindle, so copy and paste stuff pertaining to spindle from a 7i96 config.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: JT

More
03 Nov 2023 12:14 - 03 Nov 2023 12:26 #284441 by JT
The pin names are the same for a 7i95 and 7i95T, the only difference is the mesaflash name.

I'll try and sort out what the problem is. The current version of MesaCT is 2.05

The purpose of the options is to deselect encoders, pwms and stepgens to turn them into gpio.

I do see the issue, the 7i95T uses MuxedQCount and I was only looking for QCount so I'll fix that today.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2023 12:26 by JT.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, mh300

More
06 Nov 2023 11:49 #284694 by mh300
Thanks for your help! My card arrived in the meantime and using the configuration from the Config Tool worked out of the box, looks like the encoders were not displayed on the UI but are present and working in the config. I couldn't find any reference to the PWM output in the config and couldn't test it yet.

More
09 Feb 2024 10:29 #292925 by joseplluisc
Hello mh300

Have you got your configuration? A couple of questions. Can you explain how you finally did it? If you want, you can do it privately or publicly so that everyone can benefit from your experience. Second question: Can you share your configuration files?
I'm almost in the same situation as you.

Thanks a lot
José Luis

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.348 seconds