Anyone figured out how to get Trinamic's TMC5160 drivers working with LinuxCNC?

More
26 Dec 2023 09:02 - 26 Dec 2023 09:07 #289071 by rajhlinux
Finally some big beefy TMC5160 driver boards out, supports 60 DC Volts and 6 Amps, could be used for CNC metal milling:

www.amazon.com/BIGTREETECH-TMC5160T-Step...81-b373-0e5c1a776d5d

biqu.equipment/products/bigtreetech-tmc5...riant=40447047860322

I really want to use them on the PM-25mv bench mill converted to CNC due to it's "stealthchop" and alike features, would be used for the X and Y-axis closed-loop stepper motors, I think Z-axis should be ok which doesn't have heavy spindle motor.

Anyone figured out how to get the TMC5160 working with LinuxCNC?
I plan on getting a MESA card...

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Dec 2023 09:07 by rajhlinux.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2023 09:21 #289075 by tommylight
Nothing to figure out there, 5160T plus works with step/dir so can be used even with parallel port.
The other types/models use SPI, no idea if those can be used with RPI, but should also be usable with a 3D printer board and Remora:
forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/42276-rem...ller-via-spi?start=0

More
26 Dec 2023 19:54 #289108 by cakeslob
SPI control mode, where you can use an encoder, no one is currently using this to control the steppers, and thus getting closed loop. i havent seen this mode supported anywhere really, except TMC sdk stuff.

Step/dir control mode - there is a user with the milo project using that driver, he is using the cfg jumpers to set the micro steps and step/dir for steps. connects like a normal driver.

step/dir mode with SPI cfg - used step/dir to control and SPI to configure the driver, this is what most 3d printer stuff uses. I havent seen this supported by linuxcnc before, with remora or otherwise
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
18 Feb 2024 03:14 - 18 Feb 2024 03:37 #293664 by pl.studentoflife
I'm using those drivers currently. They are quite a beasty. It is possible to use them in standalone mode, but  i would advice against it if your motor is relatively low current (below 5A). I burnt one motor this way as setup of IRUN (with CFG pins) is half range up to full power - this is probably linear scale so 5 -10 A.

Best option is to have additional SPI capable device (arduino, rasperry pi, even 8081 probably would do) just to configure the driver(s).
Connect DIR/Step (and maybe DIAGs) to parallel/mesa card. 

Quite important to supply all 3 power inputs (took me some time to get figure this out)
- main board HV (0-60) 
- stepstick adapter VIO for logic (5V)
- stepstick adapter VM/ 24V (it can be lower - i'm  using 19.5V/4A now). As mentioned this input is exposed as VM on stepstick adapter - it should be used to  supply colling FAN but is also used to supply TMC internal voltage regulator and then some internal circuitry !!! 
As a observation it looks like this input require some power too like few amps (my 24V/1.6A died when suppling 3 drivers- was good with one).

Next step is just to tune parameters and you are set.

Last edit: 18 Feb 2024 03:37 by pl.studentoflife.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
18 Feb 2024 13:46 #293682 by tommylight
Some more info, just in case:
These heat a lot when enabled, use coolers, big ones, preferably with fans.
Stealthchop and (insert name here, can not recall right now) make motors run quietly but also introduce a bit of positioning error, infos are on manuals. Can also cause huge vibrations at higher speeds.
Been over a year since i dealt with 2208 and 2209, so a bit fuzzy on the details.

More
27 Jun 2024 14:33 #303902 by chrisfischer
I'm looking to see if anyone has used the trinamic drivers for stall guard to detect skipped steps during the cut but also to do sensorless homing. I'm surprised I don't see anyone mention this.

More
08 Sep 2024 13:36 - 08 Sep 2024 13:38 #309653 by BICHLER
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Sep 2024 13:38 by BICHLER.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds