Mesa Board(s) Question for first time CNC Plasma

More
02 Feb 2024 22:56 #292256 by Mr S
Hi there,

So I've been going down quite a few rabbit holes the past few days as I'm going to make my own CNC plasma this spring.  I've gotten to the point where I think I know what I need to order - sort of.

I orginally wanted to do a Pi4, but have decided to do a standard computer setup and that will eliminate me having to make the kernel real-time on a desktop (as long as it's powerful enough, which I can get a pretty good one for $200 on Amazon).  

Now, from what I have figured out, with the 7i76e's being out of stock, it appears as though the replacement is the 7i96S (just with a few less outputs I believe).  

If I go with a non-HF plasma cutter that is THC capable such as this one , do I need to get the THCAD controller Mesa card as well?  If so, since this is a blow-back plasma cutter (non-touch) I'm assuming I need to get the THCAD2 not the THCAD-300?

Thank you for any help you can provide.  I'm going to do this in stages and would like to get the Mesa cards first so I can play around with them a bit before my next paycheque to get the cutter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2024 23:13 #292260 by tommylight
From the link you posted:
CNC Plasma Cutting Machine : have 2 pins and 4 pins connecting port at rear of machine. 2 pins connector for The arc voltage output ratio 1:1, 4 pins connector for Signal Control.Easy works with CNC cutting table.The plasma cutter with Non-HF Pilot Arc function (Not HF Pilot Arc) Under this function, Pilot arc will not interference to machine...
You should really take the time to read stuff and not go by the hunch, that is not a blow back plasma, and it does requite THCAD300 as the voltage output is 1:1 noted above.
Still, I would suggest you get the THCAD5 or THCAD10 or THCAD2 and 2 of 1MOhm resistors, just in case you decide to change the plasma later on.

More
04 Feb 2024 03:14 - 04 Feb 2024 03:16 #292354 by vre
For HV/HF pilot arc THCAD5/10 is the correct option
but what resistors must get in case of around 2mhz/10+ kV HF/HV arc ignition ?
any tips to not burn THCAD ?
Any other alternative options for HF/HV pilot arc for reading cutting voltage except THCAD?
Last edit: 04 Feb 2024 03:16 by vre.

More
04 Feb 2024 16:21 #292411 by JT

From the link you posted:
CNC Plasma Cutting Machine : have 2 pins and 4 pins connecting port at rear of machine. 2 pins connector for The arc voltage output ratio 1:1, 4 pins connector for Signal Control.Easy works with CNC cutting table.The plasma cutter with Non-HF Pilot Arc function (Not HF Pilot Arc) Under this function, Pilot arc will not interference to machine...
You should really take the time to read stuff and not go by the hunch, that is not a blow back plasma, and it does requite THCAD300 as the voltage output is 1:1 noted above.
Still, I would suggest you get the THCAD5 or THCAD10 or THCAD2 and 2 of 1MOhm resistors, just in case you decide to change the plasma later on.

The THCAD-5 and THCAD-10 have been replaced with the THCAD-2

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
04 Feb 2024 19:44 #292431 by tommylight
Thank you JT, i was not aware of it.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds