AC spindle servo on a Chinese BOB set up

More
22 Jun 2024 04:46 #303532 by ThyerHazard
Hey guys has anyone on here used an AC servo spindle motor with just a parport break out board? My finger is hovering over the buy now button but just want to see if anyone has tried before I become the lab rat

(I have a two parport bob set up if that helps)

thanks guys :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2024 12:11 #303549 by tommylight
Might end up disappointed, even if it works, due to limited step rates the parallel port can output.
Some drives do have settings for steps per turn and that might help a bit, no idea how much.
Using PWM should work just fine, if the drive can do PWM, most new ones can, and so can some very cheap china ones.
+-10V can be made to work in one direction as some bobs do have 0-10V output.
ETC, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThyerHazard

More
22 Jun 2024 13:11 #303552 by ThyerHazard
The bob I has does have 0-10v so I might give it a go. I do intend to upgrade to a masa eventually so maybe it can just work at half capacity until then.

I was looking at the brushless (sewing machine motors) people are putting on mini mills and lathes and for an extra $140 I can get an AC servo with the driver seems like a no brainer.

More
22 Jun 2024 13:20 #303553 by tommylight
Just do check what control types it can handle, usually new ones can do step/dir or pulse/dir, PWM, analog 0-10V or 0-5V settable on the drive/VFD, or +-10V for servo drives.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThyerHazard

More
23 Jun 2024 02:02 #303586 by jimmyrig
Would try pwm and two output pins. One with run stop and another for fwd/rev

More
23 Jun 2024 02:19 #303587 by cornholio
Yeah I'd be spending money on on an upgrade to some Mesa motion hardware control before a spindle, and a good spindle package isn't going to be cheap.

More
23 Jun 2024 03:03 #303592 by ThyerHazard
It doesn't have to be really 'good' the machine is a Seig X2 I have heavily modified it, but still I don't think a super nice spindle package would be worth it on this mill maybe my next project.

I was just looking for something better than the stock Brushed DC motor they ship with. at the moment the stock motor still works so I'll run that to begin with but I know the control boards for them are known to blow and its cheaper to get a Chinese servo set up than a new brushed control board (That will most likely break again)

Thanks again for the help guys this forum is amazing!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
23 Jun 2024 10:43 #303633 by cornholio
This is the way to go, go hard or go home hahahaha.

Thinking of something similar, not real happy with my servo setup. I kind feel the original motor that came with my BF-20 was more torquey. But the 3 phase I have of my FrankenMyford is sweet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S, ThyerHazard

More
24 Jun 2024 09:28 #303678 by ThyerHazard
hahaha

My mini lathe has a 6HP three phase motor on it because I had it on hand... so I know the feeling well

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds