"error finishing read" with Mesa 7i92T on fresh install

More
20 Jul 2024 11:01 #305692 by rodw

Rod: Your detailed document was extremely helpful. It might be worth adding a small blurb about editing /etc/default/grub and running sudo update-grub to get them to stick, or point folks to an existing location where that procedure is documented. I struggled to find a canonical "clean" location of documentation for how to do that. askubuntu.com/questions/19486/how-do-i-a...ernel-boot-parameter was the closest I could find.

There is an easier way to do this. The Linuxcnc ISO includes grub-customizer (finally in the debian bookworm repository) which allows you to edit grub settings in a Graphical environment and bypasses the need to update-grub eg.
sudo apt install grub-customizer (if not using the Linuxcnc ISO)
sudo grub-customizer
The following user(s) said Thank You: shasse

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2024 11:22 #305693 by rodw
Using grub-customizer is covered under the heading optional steps. I added some additional detail about EEE and ASPM
Please let me know if it needs changing
docs.google.com/document/d/1jeV_4VKzVmOI...diY/edit?usp=sharing

More
20 Jul 2024 21:40 #305727 by shasse
That looks good Rod, thank you. I had previously just jumped to the driver section.

For the record, it appears that both updating the driver and setting the kernel parameters are needed. I did a fresh install and just changed the kernel parameters and still encountered the problem.

Once I also updated the ethernet drivers the issue was resolved.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PCW, rodw

More
20 Jul 2024 22:19 #305729 by rodw

That looks good Rod, thank you. I had previously just jumped to the driver section.

For the record, it appears that both updating the driver and setting the kernel parameters are needed. I did a fresh install and just changed the kernel parameters and still encountered the problem.

Once I also updated the ethernet drivers the issue was resolved.

I think that would be right because the 8168 driver is not part ot the default kernel. The dkms driver compiles and installs kernel source. THis is why you need the linux-headers for your kernel. dkms should also recompile the driver if you install a different kernel.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds