MCG Server Controller for 4th axis

More
09 Aug 2024 13:34 - 12 Aug 2024 16:12 #307358 by spacestate1
I have a small rotary table I'm trying to get working. It has an old MCG servo (Model
MCG 2234-M4903) attached to rotate the table. MCG has been out of business for a while, and there's not a ton of info out there about these motors.

According to the servo's label (see picture), it's 50 oz-in, 2 amps, and 3000 rpm. I think it probably takes 60V.My main goal is finding a suitable servo driver with good LinuxCNC compatibility.

I assume LinuxCNC works with servo drivers in a similar way to stepper drivers. I'm using a Mesa 7i96s for my interface board.The servo motor itself has an old DB-style connector with 15 pins (two missing) and a 4-pin DIN-style connector. I'll have to figure that part out later.If anyone has any info or tips, I'd appreciate it.Thanks. 
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Aug 2024 16:12 by spacestate1. Reason: spacing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2024 22:52 #307600 by Benb
The dc servo motor you have is fine and can be used to operate with Linuxcnc. You need either an analog (+-10vdc) or digital (pul/dir) brushed dc servo drive. I use Copley Junus (analog drive) for digital drive Leadshine DC810 is a popular digital servo drive (I have no experience with these drives) both the Copley and the Leadshine require a dc servo power supply. I have seen on EBAY Advance Motion Control drives with built in dc power supply. Since your servo motor is low current and standard voltage you should be able to find what you need on EBAY.
In nut shell you need to match your current Mesa hardware with either analog or digital servo drive. Then start looking for the drive that match your servo motor.
Good luck Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds