Need Hardware Choice Help

More
16 Feb 2011 17:07 #7247 by Maglin
Hello all. I'm just starting out on my first CNC project and thinking EMC2 might be the ticket for my control software. First the machine.

BF20 Mill converted to CNC with 5 TPI ballscrews, 3 Axis with a 4th and possibly 5th axis in the future, Spindle Control for use with ridgid tapping., ATC with pneumatic drawbar

Now I was going to go with stepper motors but not to sure if I shouldn't just use servo's. I was going to go direct drive stepper with 2x 570oz motors and 1 906oz motor driven by Keling digital KL-5056D drivers and a C35 break out board.

Well I want to kept the electronics under $1K if possible. I already have a PC that showed something like 12K for servo latency and 10K for max latency I think it was. They where all under 15,000 which I've read is stealer. I want precision and maybe servo control would be the best bet when using EMC2. I'm very electrically inclined so I can handle just about any install with ease just I don't know what to use.

I want to take full advantage of closed loop operation or should I say full advantage of EMC2. I don't want missed steeps as some of the things I'm looking to mill need precision and .001" could possibly ruin the piece.

So would stepper motors be ok for this or do I have to go Servo drive for what I'm asking?

If Servo drive can I go direct connection or do I have to use like a 2:1 belt drive setup?

The Mesa hardware looks amazing but their are so many options and FPGA cards I have no clue which one to go with. The 5I23 and 7I43 looks to be a good solution. I'm also wanting to use a pendant for manual control when needed and the 72 I/O pins seems like the ticket, but I could always just use a PP interface for a pendent as well, or a USB one. I don't know what daughter cards if any to get to actually hook into the I/O pins of the 5I23 or even the 7I43 if it is maybe a better option.

What servo motors and controllers should I be looking at? I'm sorry to ask so much in my first post. I have played around with EMC2 a little and so far I really love it. Since I haven't purchased my electronics yet I'm asking these questions instead of how do I get my current electronics to work.

Thank you for any and all advise given.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2011 17:58 #7254 by BigJohnT
The BF20 Mill is currently a CNC mill with drives and servos or steppers?

If you have concerns with loosing steps then go with servos. I see the BF20 Mill is not a huge mill so I assume you will be doing small parts. Properly geared (timing belt) and configured steppers won't loose any steps... but to get closed loop you need servos with drives that take velocity or torque inputs and encoders that feed back to EMC. Every machine I have that is CNC has timing belt drives from the servos and usually are 2:1 reduction or there about.

I used a Mesa 5i20, 7i33, and 2 7i37's to convert my Hardinge CHNC and used the existing velocity drives and encoders.

Keep in mind that the "rating" for steppers is holding torque when means nothing when your trying to move. You need to take into account the torque curves if provided. For stepper systems I use Automation Direct triple stack Nema 23 steppers with Gecko 203V drives and a Mesa 5i20 to generate step and direction to the Gecko's. That is on my plasma table and I can move it at >500IPM but it has no side forces so you have to do the math on speed, torque and gearing. While some have achieved closed loop with steppers it is not normally done and not a simple task to get running.

John

More
16 Feb 2011 19:38 - 16 Feb 2011 19:59 #7261 by Maglin
Replied by Maglin on topic Re:Need Hardware Choice Help
I'm in the planning stage of my build. The mill is on back order until the end of the month. Wow I really am not sure what components I would need to purchase for a servo config. Maybe I should just kept it stepper and get the 7I43.

I just don't know what I need to get to go servo. Like which Servo motors, Drivers, Encoders. And the cost looks like I might not be able to do 3 axis for around $1,000. But I don't know. Does this sound logical?

350oz-in Peak NEMA 23 60VDC DC Motors x3
Geckodrive 320x x3
50v/20A Unregulated Power Supply
US Digital 300 CPR Encoders x3
Mesa 5i20
Mesa 7i33TA
Mesa 7i37TA

This is a step/dir setup so It's still no closed loop correct? What would be a good place to get a servo amplifier to be able to run closed loop as it looks like that is all I would really need instead of getting a step/dir servo driver. Or maybe I'm not completely understanding how a servo system is setup.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2011 19:59 by Maglin.

More
16 Feb 2011 22:08 #7264 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:Need Hardware Choice Help
This is still step/dir. If you use mesa cards you dont need the 7I33TA (thats for analog servo interface), so either a 7I42TA or 7I47TA would make more sense as a breakout for the step+dir signals and possible encoder feedback. (7I42 if you have TTL output encoders, 7I47 if you have differential output encoders)

More
17 Feb 2011 07:51 #7271 by Maglin
Ok I think for this build I'll just go with steeper motors and the PP Card C35 that I was already planning on going with. I can still use EMC2 just not have all the cool features that I was looking at. For my next build I should have the info for what is needed for closed loop servo control and have a machine that would warrent using servo's.

TY for the help. I still think I might pick up a 5i20 down the road and start learning how to set it up.

More
17 Feb 2011 10:42 #7277 by andypugh
Maglin wrote:

I just don't know what I need to get to go servo. Like which Servo motors, Drivers, Encoders. And the cost looks like I might not be able to do 3 axis for around $1,000. But I don't know.

I think that a set of Mesa 5i23 + 2x 7i39 with brushless motors from Keling might fit under your budget. (Note that encoders are extra)
Alternatively, see what pops up on eBay.
cgi.ebay.com/Sanyo-P3-200W-AC-Servo-Moto...-Super-/170603577506
Looks nice, but note that it needs a 200V drive and life is a lot easier if they have encoders rather than resolvers.

I like the 7i39 approach as there is a purely digital interface between EMC2 and the drive hardware. The 7i39 card runs two motors per card. Using a 5i20 or 5i23 would leave you with 24 IO pins for other uses, with a 7i43 you would have no IO left after plugging in the motor drives. They are only good for 50V though, so whilst they would run that 200W Sanyo, they would only run them at 1/4 rated speed.

The Mesa 8i20 can work to 400V, but is rather more expensive. On the plus side, it uses a lot fewer IO pins. You can have eight 8i20s on a single 5i20/5i23/7i43 header.

Keling offer 3 and 4 axis kits for around $1000, but that includes Gecko step/dir servo drives. These will work perfectly well with EMC2, but the preferred "EMC Way" is to use the dumbest possible drives and put the cleverness inside the software.

More
23 Feb 2011 14:21 #7410 by Maglin
Ok I think I found my hardware. It's the DMM A/C Servo High Torque 3 axis kit . The kit offers limit switches, E-stop, Servos, Servo drives, encoders, cables, and PP BOB. According to the info on the servo drive it can also worth with an analog input of 0-5v and a direction input. Would that fit the bill for closed loop operation? I'm thinking to get it running and learn the ins and outs that I'll run it step/dir and later go to a 5i20 set-up. This Looks like it would be a very well priced kit and pretty much fits my current budget almost perfectly. I'm not to sure what the output on the encoders are but it's something like 16384 CPR and 4096 CPR accuracy. They say it's a 14bit running 12bit.

As long as the drive will function in analog mode w/o the encoder hooked up to it I think it will work. I'm also going to hook these up direct drive. With their high constant torque and low speed coupled with the high encoder CPR it's just the logical way to go about it. I'll have to counter ballance the Z-Head but I'm going to try w/o a counter balance first. What do you think of this set-up?

More
24 Feb 2011 03:43 #7420 by jmelson
Maglin wrote:

Ok I think I found my hardware. It's the DMM A/C Servo High Torque 3 axis kit . The kit offers limit switches, E-stop, Servos, Servo drives, encoders, cables, and PP BOB. According to the info on the servo drive it can also worth with an analog input of 0-5v and a direction input. Would that fit the bill for closed loop operation? I'm thinking to get it running and learn the ins and outs that I'll run it step/dir and later go to a 5i20 set-up. This Looks like it would be a very well priced kit and pretty much fits my current budget almost perfectly. I'm not to sure what the output on the encoders are but it's something like 16384 CPR and 4096 CPR accuracy. They say it's a 14bit running 12bit.

As long as the drive will function in analog mode w/o the encoder hooked up to it I think it will work. I'm also going to hook these up direct drive. With their high constant torque and low speed coupled with the high encoder CPR it's just the logical way to go about it. I'll have to counter ballance the Z-Head but I'm going to try w/o a counter balance first. What do you think of this set-up?

Does CPR mean cycles/rev or quadrature counts/rev? If it is cycles/rev, then you get 16384 x 4 = counts/rev.
With software generating step pulses, you won't even be able to get 60 RPM out of these motors. You'd need 65536 step pulses/second to do one rev per second = 60 RPM. You would almost certainly need a hardware
step generator to provide enough step pulses to get reasonable speed. Even if it is counts/rev, then you'd still
only be able to get about 50,000 step/second divided by 16384 = 3 revs/sec = 180 RPM. 180 RPM direcly driving a 5 TPI leadscrew gives 36 IPM.

Jon

More
26 Feb 2011 03:00 #7465 by Maglin
TY for steering me straight. Ok this is a for sure motor and servo drive setup. I just bought the servo drives. They are AMT BD30A8B drive's and I'm going to use 3x 850oz. 90v/30A peak 3000RPM servo's and AMT102-V TTL Differential encoders. The servo drives are PWM/Dir drives. I think they might do closed loop but if not they at least are good drives or so I think.

So for the Mesa hardware I'm looking at the 5i23 PCI card and 2x 7i37TA to run the servo's and if it's possible to run the encoders too. I don't have a 0-10v spindle control I think with this setup so I might have to do something very soon down the road for that. I think I could even just make my own 0-10v card to control spindle speeds and cw/ccw rotation.

So does this seem like I'm going in the correct direction. I almost pulled the trigger on that DMM setup and I'm glad you chimed in. I also found out they also have been known to have a following error. Either way I'm going with what I know works and hoping for the best. Just need the Mesa stuff nailed down before I order the Mesa gear.

Jeremiah

More
27 Feb 2011 11:57 #7486 by andypugh
I have never been entirely clear how you can make the DMM-tech servos and drives work with EMC2.
I am not sure that Jon's concerns are warranted, as I am not clear if the steps-per-rev in step/dir mode matches the quoted encoder resolution. I think that those drives use an absolute encoder of some sort (possibly magnetic). Whether position feedback from the drives to the controller is possible, and what form it takes, is something that my previous cursory examination of the docs has not made clear.
However, if they suggest that control by Mach3 is possible, via the P-Port, then control by EMC2 has to be possible. However, Mach3 does not support closed-loop control as far as I know.

0-10V spindle control is fairly easy, I have made a convertor myself. Just be careful to make sure that the 0-10V control on your drive isn't floating at some insane voltage. The one on my mini-mill was referenced to motor positive (120V DC). I had to use an opto-isolator and an isolated 5V-10V DC-DC convertor to create the floating 0-10V.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds