Need Hardware Choice Help

More
27 Feb 2011 15:46 #7487 by BigJohnT
From the diagram you can see that the drives close the loop to the encoder and possibly only take step and direction like a Gecko 320 drive so as far as EMC is concerned they are just open loop step and direction drives like steppers.

If I was going to the expense of servos I'd get drives and motors that can be closed loop. RobH has been getting some from flea bay for his machines...

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2011 01:10 #7499 by Maglin
Replied by Maglin on topic Re:Need Hardware Choice Help
I did just that. I purchased 6 BD30A8 Advanced Motion Technologies analog servo drives on flee bay. They are PWM/Dir open loop drives when driving brushed servo's. So that means EMC gets to close the loop and all should be well. I'm going to use the CUI AMT102-V encoders that are TTL INCREMENTAL ENCODER's. I'm thinking of using a 5i23 along with 2 7i37TA boards. I'm going to email Mesa for their recomendations.

My drives happen to have a current monitor output that is 0-10v proportional to the drives current output of 4 a/v. Would I be able to setup a page in EMC2 to graph and monitor the current output pin? I think it would be a good tool to use for servo tuning and also to see when a particular action is taking more current than it used to ie.. ways needing oiling or something else causing binding or friction.

More
28 Feb 2011 18:01 #7507 by andypugh
Maglin wrote:

I did just that. I purchased 6 BD30A8 Advanced Motion Technologies analog servo drives on flee bay. They are PWM/Dir open loop drives when driving brushed servo's.

Careful there, as far as I can make out, those are brushless servo drives. Are you absolutely sure that they can drive brush-type motors?
If they can drive both types, then they sound great, as you can use just about any motor you can find at the right price.
In the development branch of EMC2 there is a "glue" hal module called bldc. That will produce Hall-pattern signals for brushless drives even from motors with no Hall sensors, as long as they have an encoder. I have used it to drive some motors I found on eBay which have Resolvers as feedback.

My drives happen to have a current monitor output that is 0-10v proportional to the drives current output of 4 a/v. Would I be able to setup a page in EMC2 to graph and monitor the current output pin?

Yes, but not particularly easily. A common way to do this is with a voltage to frequency converter, connected to a counter-mode encoder module in EMC2 (or, in your case, in the 5i23 frimware). The encoder velocity can then be used in HAL as a voltage/current value.
Mesa do a compatible card (THCAD) but that is probably overkill for what you need. A cheap-as-chips 555 counter/timer chip can do the job
ecelab.com/circuit-vco-555.htm
Or, for a little more a dedicated chip such as the LM231N

More
28 Feb 2011 21:41 - 28 Feb 2011 21:43 #7509 by Maglin
Browser back button post
Last edit: 28 Feb 2011 21:43 by Maglin. Reason: I didn't mean to post this

More
28 Feb 2011 22:08 #7510 by Maglin
andypugh wrote:

]Careful there, as far as I can make out, those are brushless servo drives. Are you absolutely sure that they can drive brush-type motors?
If they can drive both types, then they sound great, as you can use just about any motor you can find at the right price.
In the development branch of EMC2 there is a "glue" hal module called bldc. That will produce Hall-pattern signals for brushless drives even from motors with no Hall sensors, as long as they have an encoder. I have used it to drive some motors I found on eBay which have Resolvers as feedback.

Thank you for your response. These are 120* and 60* drives to drive brushless and brushed motors. In 60* mode they don't need a Hall sensor attached. I paid what I feel is almost nothing for them $50ea. so I picked up 6 of them so when I do my lathe project I'll have the drives and can use the same computer at least at first.

That's pretty good to hear that I can get current monitoring inside EMC2. I'm starting to understand this stuff more and more as I dive into the world of servo's. I got an email back from Mesa and it's either use TTL and the 7i42TA or use differential encoders and use the 7i47S which seems like the better way to go. I can get a differential converting cable for the CUI encoders.

More
28 Feb 2011 22:19 #7511 by andypugh
Maglin wrote:

I got an email back from Mesa and it's either use TTL and the 7i42TA or use differential encoders and use the 7i47S which seems like the better way to go. I can get a differential converting cable for the CUI encoders.

Seems a bit of an odd thing to do, to me, spending money on converting TTL encoders to differential, then back to TTL at the interface. It ought to be more interference-resistant using differential signalling, but TTL (home-made encoders) is working fine for me, just wired directly to the Mesa cards.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds