axial bearing lubrication

More
30 Oct 2011 14:16 - 30 Oct 2011 14:18 #14427 by jpka
Hi!
I'm currently try to build DIY brush-less spindle motor, because i can't find such items in shops. I collect some stuff which was never designed to work together, but i'm really want to finish this project :-)
The stuff includes precision 8 mm shaft with collet, RC car motor, and axial bearing, along with other magic parts. There is no cavity (enclosure) for place the axial bearing, so it is currently outside the motor (please see photos). But if i lubricate it with grease and turn motor on, the grease will immediately dispence on my room and on me myself. Bearing not have cover(s) like traditional radial bearings. So the question is, how to lubricate these bearings? How the big guys do it? And can it ever run without enclosure?
Thanks!
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Oct 2011 14:18 by jpka. Reason: add 2nd image

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2011 14:20 #14428 by jpka
Replied by jpka on topic Re:axial bearing lubrication
I am sorry but can't find a way to place 2nd picture in same post, so try make another.
Attachments:

More
30 Oct 2011 17:29 #14435 by BigJohnT
The big guys never put thrust bearings outside to collect chips. You might fit a cover over it...

John

More
30 Oct 2011 21:28 - 30 Oct 2011 21:57 #14443 by andypugh
jpka wrote:

The stuff includes precision 8 mm shaft with collet, RC car motor, and axial bearing,

You might want to consider using a different type of bearing.
You can get sealed double angular contact bearings, which have about the same axial rating as your current bearing, and a lot more radial load rating.
If the shaft is 8mm as you say it is a little more difficult, as the smallest bore is 10mm in sealed angular contacts. You would need a collar to make up the difference.
simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p500256/42002R...mm/product_info.html
Unless you are in the UK that would be a daft place to buy from, but bearing numbers are international.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2011 21:57 by andypugh.

More
02 Nov 2011 18:03 #14524 by jpka
Replied by jpka on topic Re:axial bearing lubrication
Thanks.
So i will try to use additional cover as first aid, i really must worry about chips and dust.
And in future, i will try to use more advanced bearings.
Only question remains, are bigger bearings capable to support such high RPM rates as small bearings do? My motor has 19 mm O.D. bearings inside it (so i buy same 19 mm additional external bearing), and specs on this motor says about 50K RPM; but i read somewhere, the bigger bearing is, the less max. RPM it accepts.
(I'm not really need 50K RPM now, because i don't know how it important for milling, sorry. I mostly want get this result for knowledge about motors of this type, because high RPM rate may be useful for other users).

More
02 Nov 2011 18:28 #14525 by andypugh
jpka wrote:

Only question remains, are bigger bearings capable to support such high RPM rates as small bearings do?.

Generally not. Have a look at the bearing manufacturer's data for actual limits. For example:
www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/products?lan...atalogue=1&newlink=1
(click the type of bearing you are interested in, then the "product data" link.)

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds