Servo motor size

More
17 Apr 2012 10:19 #19306 by jeffie_3
Servo motor size was created by jeffie_3
Does anyone know how to calculate a motor size? Thinking about put a control on a lathe I have. Not sure how large or small motors to use. Looking to find someway to figure that out.

Thanks,

Jeff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2012 12:51 #19313 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Servo motor size
jeffie_3 wrote:

Does anyone know how to calculate a motor size? Thinking about put a control on a lathe I have. Not sure how large or small motors to use. Looking to find someway to figure that out.

My experience is that the highest force required is that needed to push a drill. (you can mount drills on the tool post, and then use peck-drilling cycles, rather than motorise the tailstock).

So, you could try trapping bathroom scales between the chuck and the tailstock, and measuring the force at typical tailstock hand-feed force. (you could also measure typical cross-slide and longitudinal feed forces too, you may need to use a smaller X motor for mounting space reasons)

The force generated by a ballscrew is approximately 2 * pi * torque / lead (using consistent units, so 1Nm and 5mm pitch is 1256N force and 1 lb.ft and 10tpi is 753lbf.) Calculate what motor torque you need to achieve the measured forces, using a ballscrew pitch which gives you the speed you want at the rated motor speed. Don't forget to factor in any gear reduction you have.

Then add a suitable fiddle factor for luck. (quite a big factor if you are using leadscrews not ballscrews)

As a guide, my 3Nm steppers on a 5mm pitch ballscrew and 2;1 gearing are a bit weak for drilling, but OK for turning on m7 8x20 lathe. A similar torque servo with a greater gear reduction would probably be adequate (you can afford a greater reduction with a servo as they can spin a lot faster than steppers)

More
18 Apr 2012 13:45 #19353 by jeffie_3
Replied by jeffie_3 on topic Re:Servo motor size
Thank you for info.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds