Retro fitting Bridgeport Boss 7.5 mill

More
03 May 2012 04:21 #19749 by cottonbelt
:cheer: I am new to the retro / conversion scene so I will take any advise on how to proceed.
I have 2 BTC Bridgeport mills Boss 7.5 with servo 400 drives the machine is running but its difficult to program and run in MDI so I want to convert it to PC based control . Mesa suggest a 5125/7177 combo
But I'm not sure how to incorperate these boards into the machine.
Thanks for any help .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2012 11:58 #19755 by BigJohnT
Do your current drives take a velocity input (+-10vdc)?

Does the current controller use encoder feedback?

If yes, then it is a normal install with the encoder feedback going to the 7i77 and the velocity command from the 7i77 going to the servo drives.

John

More
04 May 2012 02:46 #19788 by cottonbelt
John I will check the voltage on the drives , I don't know on the encoder feedback .
Cottonbelt

More
04 May 2012 04:10 #19789 by cottonbelt
So will I be gutting the original BP comptroller and relpacing it with the Mesa boards ? Is it possible to have pluse geneator / handwheel with the new system?

More
04 May 2012 06:44 #19799 by cmorley
You would replace the BP controller with a computer running linuxcnc.
The Mesa cards will connect to the servo (or stepper) drives and any required I/O.
Yes if your handwheels produce quadrature pulses (most do) it is easy to integrate.

The trick would be where to separate the controller from the I/O and what kind of signals the drives require and produce.

Others can help you with more details.

More
04 May 2012 11:55 #19804 by BigJohnT
Just to add a bit to what Chris said, all your I/O would connect to the Mesa card as well as your MPG. Like Chris said the trick is tracing some wiring down to see what goes to what and identify what you have.

A typical conversion is you connect the I/O, MPG and encoders to the 7i77 then from the 7i77 you connect to the drive velocity inputs. The drive and the servo have some kind of feedback usually a tach generator so the drive "knows" how fast the motor is going compared to the velocity input.

I'm in the process of swapping out my Anilam 1100M controller on my BP knee mill with a Mesa 5i25-7i77 combo.

John

More
04 May 2012 12:08 #19805 by andypugh
cottonbelt wrote:

I have 2 BTC Bridgeport mills Boss 7.5 with servo 400 drives .

There is a nice detailed write up of a similar conversion here:
code.google.com/p/sector67-sandbox/wiki/ProjectSheetCake

The machine and the Mesa hardware are slightly different, but the basics are much the same.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds