Combi Mill Pro 3000 conversion

More
09 Sep 2012 19:36 #24099 by RatAston
I have a Combi Mill Pro 3000 vertical mill that I am planning on converting to CNC, the mill used to have cnc control, so has ball screws but has been converted to manual.
I also have five SEM MT30F 4-45 DC servo motors and mountings from a bridgeport conversion (I think it was an Anilam conversion). The mountings should fit the Combi Mill as it is a bridgeport clone, but a bit bigger with a 54" x 10" table and ISO30 taper to the spindle.

I would like to use these motors if I can.

Looking through the posts on this and other forums it looks like I can use a Messa 5i23 with two 7i29's

Is this the best option? and what do I need to do about encoder/tacho/resolvers? The motors state Tacho 9.5V/1000rpm on the data plate.

Also any suggestions on power supplies for the motors?

I am new to the world of CNC but I have some background knowledge of electronics. I am based in the UK.

Thanks in advance for any sugestions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2012 20:20 #24104 by andypugh
RatAston wrote:

Looking through the posts on this and other forums it looks like I can use a Messa 5i23 with two 7i29's

Pico might also be worth a look: www.pico-systems.com/motion.html

what do I need to do about encoder/tacho/resolvers? The motors state Tacho 9.5V/1000rpm on the data plate.

Anilam tended to use tachos on the motors and linear scales on the slides. Getting tacho feedback into the digital domain is slightly troublesome.
I think you would probably want to swap the tachos for encoders, though there are other options.

Also any suggestions on power supplies for the motors?

At 165V I think that the 7i29 looks to be intended for simple rectified US mains. A building-site 110V transformer, a beefy rectifier and some big, low-ESR caps might be one solution.

I am based in the UK..

There are quite a lot of us who are. Welcome aboard.

More
10 Sep 2012 00:16 #24108 by BigJohnT
I'm converting an Anilam 1100m atm on a BP knee mill the power supply for the drives is somewhat simple with a bridge rectifier and a rather large cap. Do you still have the Anilam drives?

John

More
10 Sep 2012 16:41 #24127 by RatAston
Thanks for the replies.

I thought that encoders would be the way to go, do you have any suggestions on sources and type?
I like the idea of the builders transformer, but my motors are 140V, I cannot remember my transformer theory will the voltage be too high?

I have looked on both messa and pico websites but I think I still need to learn a bit more before I take the plunge.

I do not have any parts of the system apart from the motors and mounts.

Thanks

More
10 Sep 2012 17:19 #24129 by andypugh
RatAston wrote:

I thought that encoders would be the way to go, do you have any suggestions on sources and type?

Not really, though I have heard that there is an unfortunate lag in the AMT CUI ones.
thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributio...er/31229/focus=31233

I like the idea of the builders transformer, but my motors are 140V, I cannot remember my transformer theory will the voltage be too high?

110 * sqrt2 I think, so 155V. I would be surprised if 140V motor insulation couldn't handle 155V, especially as the _actual_ voltage is likely to be less once pwm and inductance are considered.

More
10 Sep 2012 17:30 #24130 by BigJohnT
RatAston wrote:

I do not have any parts of the system apart from the motors and mounts.

Mine are DC servos and you can tell by the 4 brush covers around the motor about in the middle. If you take the end off do you see an encoder? If so below that should be a tach generator. AFAIK DC servo drives are common H bridge type like a 7i29 but let someone else confirm that. My Anilam 1100M drives are 120vac into the power supply and about 90 some odd volts to the drives...

John

More
12 Sep 2012 18:57 #24207 by RatAston
I have looked at my motors, the connections they have are:-
A1 & A2 - Motor
T1 & T2 - Tacho
K1 & K2 - Thermal Overload

so they do not have any encoders.

I have had a surf on Ebay and there seems to be quite a selection of rotary encoders on there e.g.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xinya-Increament-Rota...&hash=item4167d3adee

or

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T1-Line-Seiki-Rotary-...&hash=item35ad812c64

are these the type of thing I need and what sort of resolution will I need.

Thanks

More
12 Sep 2012 21:24 #24208 by andypugh
RatAston wrote:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T1-Line-Seiki-Rotary-...&hash=item35ad812c64

are these the type of thing I need and what sort of resolution will I need.

For motor mounting you may want the through-hole style such as www.zappautomation.co.uk/hkt300635301g10...-p-217.html?cPath=17

You want as many counts as possible, without overloading the counters. If you are using Mesa cards then anything up to 256,000 cpr seems OK, but with a parallel port you might want to stay around 1000 cpr, possibly lower.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds