Use LinuxCNC with a 3d-joystick?

More
02 Oct 2012 15:03 #24875 by pfefferhaxen
hi

I want to buy a 3 axis (3d) joystick with USB connection.
But before I invest the money, I would like to know, if its possible to control linuxcnc with a joystick (no joypad)?

Is it the same way to configure the USB-joystick like the way in Big John T´s description for a joypad here wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Simple_Remote_Pendant ?

Thank you.

Greetings from Germany,

Norbert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2012 20:02 #24887 by andypugh
pfefferhaxen wrote:

Is it the same way to configure the USB-joystick like the way in Big John T´s description for a joypad here wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Simple_Remote_Pendant ?

I would expect so.

Does the device come with drivers (it is a good sign if it doesn't) and do the docs mention "USB HID" anywhere?

More
02 Oct 2012 20:46 - 02 Oct 2012 20:46 #24889 by pfefferhaxen

I would expect so.

Does the device come with drivers (it is a good sign if it doesn't) and do the docs mention "USB HID" anywhere?

I´ll don´t buy it yet, but google means, that the joystick I choosed works without any extra drivers with linux.
Its this one www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Sti...T.Flight+Stick+X+USB

I think, I should order it, and if it doesn´t work in can send it back to amazon.de within 2 weeks.
What do you think?

Best regards

Norbert
Last edit: 02 Oct 2012 20:46 by pfefferhaxen.

More
02 Oct 2012 21:07 #24891 by andypugh
pfefferhaxen wrote:

I think, I should order it, and if it doesn´t work in can send it back to amazon.de within 2 weeks.

I would consider that cheap enough to try and then just put at the back of a cupboard if it doesn't work :-)

More
02 Oct 2012 21:10 #24892 by andypugh
andypugh wrote:

pfefferhaxen wrote:

I would consider that cheap enough to try and then just put at the back of a cupboard if it doesn't work :-)

Interesting that it costs $29, or €28, or £29 depending on which Amazon you go to. That seems rather unrelated to exchange rates.

More
02 Oct 2012 21:48 - 02 Oct 2012 21:56 #24896 by pfefferhaxen
But its the same with many articles in different amazon-countries....

I´m not sure what is more comfortable for manual control: Joystick or gamepad? Has someone experiences?

First I thougt a Joystick will be better because in my opinion the control is more accurate, but in all youtube-videos and blog-reports they use gamepads. Are there special reasons for gamepads?
Last edit: 02 Oct 2012 21:56 by pfefferhaxen.

More
02 Oct 2012 21:54 #24897 by andypugh
pfefferhaxen wrote:

First I thougt a Joystick will be better because in my opinion the control is more accurate, but in all youtube-videos and blog-reports they use gamepads. Are there special reasons for gamepads?

You can walk around with a gamepad, and stand where you can see what you need to see. You can also just about work them one-handed.
A joystick needs a surface to sit on.

More
02 Oct 2012 22:01 #24898 by pfefferhaxen
That´s right.
I will think about it tomorrow and then I order something, maybe Joystick, maybe gamepad, I will see.

Now its midnight in germany, and I will stop posting for today. The bed is calling...

See you later B)

More
02 Oct 2012 23:42 #24899 by BigJohnT
pfefferhaxen wrote:

I´m not sure what is more comfortable for manual control: Joystick or gamepad? Has someone experiences?

I know if you want accurate movement you need to do like Rick did and add incremental jog to the gamepad or the joystick. I don't find them terrible for positioning my plasma, but I woudn't use either in continuous mode to touch off a tool.

John

More
03 Oct 2012 13:43 - 03 Oct 2012 13:45 #24905 by pfefferhaxen
Now I ordered a 10€-Hama-Joypad.
It should work well with Ubuntu 10.04 and I will test it with my CNC.

If there are problems with the joypad, I maybe will buy me a joystick and try this.

Thanks for your help!
Last edit: 03 Oct 2012 13:45 by pfefferhaxen.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds