Mesa card selection for Hurco and lathe

More
25 Jan 2013 11:34 #29120 by zoni
Hi I am going for a retrofitting of five machines for that I need help in card selection

1. Hurco BMC-10L
It is an old machine but the mechanical is in exelent condition not used much it has a 24 tool changer umbrella type and swing arm. The control is not working but have not tried to repair it because it will need to maintained once it even run. So I was thinking or installing EMC. Will EMC give pricision and speed as that of original control and should I go for retrofitting. If yes then I was thinking of keeping the motors and drives. I think 5i20 (or 5i23what is the difference) with 7i48 6 channel analogue servo. This is a 4 axis machine. I want rigid tapping, Handwheelp (MPG), 7 meter rapid and 0.005mm precision. It's motor have 2500ppr encoder. Will this card do. In second stage We will activate tool chander.

2. Mach maker machine
It is have 3 axis and a spindle so I was thinking 5i20 and 7i33 no rigid tapping but I will have a free encoder input can that be used for MPG

3. Hardinge CHNC
It is a totally dead machine without motors but spindle motor and drive are good. I have bought 2 Mitsubishi MRJ2S 500 watt 2000 rpm motor. It takes step direction , quadrature and another pulse I am attaching the picture from it's manual please check. I was thing of using 5i20 with 7i52s. I need rigid tappig and threading and MPG. One problem is the analogue spindle drive what can I do for it. Can I program a microcontroller and install.

4. Warner and seaway M5020
This is an old machine with drives and motor but we have repaired spindle drive. It has an extra slide in front or spindle for drilling (like Hardinge super slant). For this machine I have 3 mitsubishi MRJ2S 1.5kw 2000 rpm. Again 5i20 with 7i52s. It has 3 axis , 12 tool turret, spindle and MPG

Please suggest is the selection ok and any more suggestions

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2013 20:28 #29130 by BigJohnT
The speed and precision you end up with will depend on the hardware not the software when using Mesa or Pico interface cards.

When I converted my CHNC I used 5i20 + 7i33 + 2x 7i37's. The conversion is documented here .

I recently converted my plasma from a 5i20 to a 5i25 + 7i76 to free up the 5i20 card for another machine.

And the last conversion was to my BP Series 1 mill using a 5i25 + 7i77. Nothing but photos so far on that page.

John

More
27 Jan 2013 20:05 #29185 by zoni
Sorry forgot the picture. unable to attach the file!!!!!!!!!!!

More
28 Jan 2013 06:06 - 28 Jan 2013 06:06 #29205 by andypugh

Sorry forgot the picture. unable to attach the file!!!!!!!!!!!

There seems to be a problem with uploading files at the moment. It is possible that we are out of space.

For your machines, I would look at the 5i25 + 7i77 combination for the analogue servo machines, and maybe the 5i25 / 7i76 for the step/quadrature drives on the Hardinge.
However, the 7i76 isn't the ideal solution in that case as it doesn't easily give you position feedback back to LinuxCNC. You might need an encoder daughterboard on the second header.

There is nothing wrong with the 5i20/5i23 solutions though, and there are still slightly more ways to plug those together than there are with the 5i25 family of boards. However the cost is a little higher and the cabling not so tidy.

For an MPG a 7i73 on the smart-serial port of the 7i76 / 7i77 would be the easiest way. (though if it is mounted on the control panel then it could simply be attached to a spare encoder input)
Last edit: 28 Jan 2013 06:06 by andypugh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: zoni

More
28 Jan 2013 12:12 - 28 Jan 2013 12:18 #29219 by zoni
Thank you for your reply. I have Bought Mitsubishi AC Servo Drives that run on step direction so 7i77 is not going to work in I dont know about 7i76 you say there is some problem with it. I dont currently have much experience with Linux cnc ( have used Mach 3 the a week before I have installed Motenc on a milling and i was impressed with the performance) I have dont have any experience with 5i20 but i saw the setting in Pnconf and i thought i can install it it i have experience with PLC programming and Microcontroller and I have been using Linux Red Hat since 2000.
1 Can you explain to me what is the problem with 7i76
2. with my experience can I handle it.
3. Can You tell me will it be wise to replace hurco BMC 10 with Linuxcnc the machine was made in 1985 (with 5i20 and 7i48).
4. In case of 5i20 the card recommended for step/dir is 7i52s i can not find any firmware in Pnconf for it and also can I get 1 analogue with help of a circuit or microcontroller.
5. What are mux encoder I have ordinary TTL encoders
Last edit: 28 Jan 2013 12:18 by zoni.

More
29 Jan 2013 01:30 #29227 by andypugh

1 Can you explain to me what is the problem with 7i76

It is a step/dir daughterboard, There is nowhere to connect axis encoders, and the firmware only includes one encoder counter for the spindle. If you want to have encoder feedback back into LinuxCNC then you also need a daughterboard that has encoder connections.

3. Can You tell me will it be wise to replace hurco BMC 10 with Linuxcnc the machine was made in 1985 (with 5i20 and 7i48).

I think that sounds like a good plan. But then I would, I am a LinuxCNC enthusiast.

5. What are mux encoder I have ordinary TTL encoders

You don't need to worry about that, it is purely related to the connection between the daughterboard and PCI card. (encoders share lines in the 50-way ribbon cable, but it's not relevant to the user configuration layers)

More
29 Jan 2013 01:47 #29228 by PCW
The 7I76 should work fine with your step/dir drives, as
long as you _dont_ want encoder feedback to LinuxCNC

If you _do_ want encoder feedback, you can use a 5I25 with a 7I85S
This would give you four 4 step/dir outputs and 4 encoder inputs and
one sserial expansion for misc I/O

A 7I84 sserial I/O card will add 16 outputs and 32 inputs for example

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds