Cincinatti Milacron arrow 500 retrofit

More
06 Oct 2014 20:45 #51825 by andypugh

Andy, do I need to use an encoder or do I use the original resolvers

You would use the original resolvers. LinuxCNC does not need to understand them, that resolver signal is only exchanged between the motors and the drives. It seems fair to assume that motors and drives are correctrly configured and no changes need to be made.
The drives output a simulated encoder signal to that can be connected directly to LinuxCNC.

will I be able to get the tool changer working do u think.

Yes, the tool changer can be made to work. It will probably be harder than getting the axes moving, partly because getting the axes moving should be very simple.

How hard will it be wire the machine up, is there anyway I can get a wiring diagram from that I will. Reed to wire everything up, my understanding if I'm to retrofit the machine is the following.

New pc, as mentioned earlier
5i25 & 7i77 as a combo
Vfd 5.5kw 3 phase to control spindle motor

You should be able to retain the existing spindle motor and drive. You shouldn't have to replace anything except the controller. All limit wiring, drives, resolvers and motors should be re-usable.

The wiring from 7i77 to the drives should be clear enough from the 7i77 manual and the drive manual. Setting up the drive enable signals might take a bit of deduction, but the drive manuals seem very clear and "open". Other than that is is just a +/-10V signal and ground from each 7i77 channel to the drives, and the 6 x encoder signals from the drive to the 7i77 for each axis.

It will end up being an awful lot of wires, but you only need to do them one at a time. It is probably best not to skimp on the actual wires. Cat5 patch cable is fine for limit switches etc, but I would be looking at something using individually shielded pairs for the encoder signals.

it seems safe to assume that the original builder already added all the filters and grounds that the drives and motors need.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Enhanced

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2014 04:40 #51907 by mblaszkiewicz
Good luck and have fun on your conversion. I just about finished mine using the existing servos and drives.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Enhanced

More
09 Jan 2015 03:33 #54801 by mmt

id prefer to do a retro on the machine, so I can use touch probes, tool setters etc etc, and can load files bigger than 500kb.

I can't find anywhere here locally to even have a look at getting the machine running in its current state

Ok, the machine is yours, I just gave you my opinion.
I use linuxcnc everyday, and I retro fited several machines. Maintaining the original controller is in most cases still the best option, that sounds your case, from your first post (it seams that the controller is ok).
Your original controller is probably able to use all that you want to use with linuxcnc, and if cannot have files of 500Kb, maybe it also can deep feed those files, despite the fact that from my experience, a file with 500Kb is the result of a poor generator.

Your avatar is not Andy's avatar?

I'm a little late but I will chime in. I agree with keeping the original controller until it is no longer financially feasible.

That Machine should have a Seimens A2100 control. Beautiful touch screen controller. I have 4 of them. You May have the Fanuc? On the seimens I have not yet found the limit on program size. I know I have run over 50,000 lines of code on many occasions.

Just my 2 cents.

Kent

More
17 Jan 2015 02:10 #55100 by JR1050
Mark Nichols at Mag can email you a wiring diagram, Mag handles Cincinatti. What is the original control, acra 850 , 850sx or a2100? What drives Siemens, Emerson or kellomorgan, Fanuc? What is the spindle drive? You might wanna talk to Mark and see if getting the original control up is feasible, set up a Emc test bench, with some small motors, drives , beater computer and I/o and experiment some. Getting a machine to move is one thing, getting it to work is another entirely. ....

More
20 Jan 2015 00:14 #55169 by Enhanced

Andy, do I need to use an encoder or do I use the original resolvers

You would use the original resolvers. LinuxCNC does not need to understand them, that resolver signal is only exchanged between the motors and the drives. It seems fair to assume that motors and drives are correctrly configured and no changes need to be made.
The drives output a simulated encoder signal to that can be connected directly to LinuxCNC.

will I be able to get the tool changer working do u think.

Yes, the tool changer can be made to work. It will probably be harder than getting the axes moving, partly because getting the axes moving should be very simple.

How hard will it be wire the machine up, is there anyway I can get a wiring diagram from that I will. Reed to wire everything up, my understanding if I'm to retrofit the machine is the following.

New pc, as mentioned earlier
5i25 & 7i77 as a combo
Vfd 5.5kw 3 phase to control spindle motor

You should be able to retain the existing spindle motor and drive. You shouldn't have to replace anything except the controller. All limit wiring, drives, resolvers and motors should be re-usable.

The wiring from 7i77 to the drives should be clear enough from the 7i77 manual and the drive manual. Setting up the drive enable signals might take a bit of deduction, but the drive manuals seem very clear and "open". Other than that is is just a +/-10V signal and ground from each 7i77 channel to the drives, and the 6 x encoder signals from the drive to the 7i77 for each axis.

It will end up being an awful lot of wires, but you only need to do them one at a time. It is probably best not to skimp on the actual wires. Cat5 patch cable is fine for limit switches etc, but I would be looking at something using individually shielded pairs for the encoder signals.

it seems safe to assume that the original builder already added all the filters and grounds that the drives and motors need.

Thanks Andy, for that information, I put it aside for the last 3 months, due to Christmas, New Years, work and Racing.

I've now decided to get back into it, and actually start doing the retrofit....lol

So just recapping on what you guys have mentioned,

Mesa 5i25 and 7i77 as a combo, do I need 2 7i77 boards or just stick with the 1.

I'll get the computer organised tomorrow with what someone recommended in earlier posts.

Then set it all up. And see how it goes, I guess.

More
20 Jan 2015 00:19 #55170 by Enhanced

Mark Nichols at Mag can email you a wiring diagram, Mag handles Cincinatti. What is the original control, acra 850 , 850sx or a2100? What drives Siemens, Emerson or kellomorgan, Fanuc? What is the spindle drive? You might wanna talk to Mark and see if getting the original control up is feasible, set up a Emc test bench, with some small motors, drives , beater computer and I/o and experiment some. Getting a machine to move is one thing, getting it to work is another entirely. ....

So far what I've worked out it uses, Emerson servo motors and drives with fanuc controller, I had a guy come out and look at the machine, the monitor is stuffed, keypad panel is fried, and the system hasn't got any memory, unfortunately, all the cnc repair guys, just don't want to even know about it.
The one guy I had out said I doubt I'll see any change from under 10k, as he said it's just a process and elimination until it's all up and running again.
He recommended I retro fit the machine, as it hardly had any use, he's working me out a quote to do the retrofit, I reckon it will be expensive.

More
20 Jan 2015 00:55 #55174 by Todd Zuercher
I don't see why you would need two 7i77s. If you need more IO than a single 7i77 has, there are other cheaper Mesa cards to fit your additional needs.

More
20 Jan 2015 08:45 #55193 by JR1050
Can you post a picture of the control? Is it Fanuc or Control Techniques? Mark Nichols USA phone number is 800 934 0735. Give him the serial number and he tell you what you have. If it is a Fanuc, its probably worth fixing. If its the control tecniques, maybe he can help you get it up enuff to see how the machine works, so you have an idea of things the the tool changer sequencing ect.

More
20 Jan 2015 22:14 #55206 by Enhanced
Sorry guys my mistake, it's a control techniques fmc4

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds