Rambaudi V2 to CNC conversion

More
22 Nov 2014 02:20 #53269 by steven4601
Hello,
Ill introduce myself as this is my first post here on LinuxCNC forum pages.

My name is Steven, I am from the Netherlands and I am an electronics design engineer currently working for a company specialized in switchmode power converters.
Interest are Power electronics, model air plane building and flying, Lathe-turning, milling, building & driving electric vehicles.

To cut a long story short, I Recently bought a big old Rambaudi V2 milling machine. Its quite a beast by means of size & mass if I would be asked to describe it.
it is very similar to the manual Bridgeports that are in every 2nd youtube video on milling machine operations.
The quill is copied I think, as the R8 collet holder is identical.
The differences are mainly in the xy mechannism (huge worm screw on the x, and ball screw on the Y if I am not mistaken) and the Ram of the machine does not rotate over to the wrong side.
Additionally it has not only a rotating but also a tilting neck that is a rare option on these machine.

The best information I have found about this milling machine was on this site: www.lathes.co.uk/rambaudi/page2.html

My manual milling excersizes have progressed to the level where I can cut gears needed for my next project...
Turning the Rambaudi V2 into a CNC machine

I am somewhat familiar with Linux, have been using it as my desktop OS for the past 6 years, however I am totally new to the Linux CNC world.

Hoppefully someone can help me get in the right direction with a few questions.

1.The CNC conversion shall be closed loop by means of steppers and Linear scales. What interface cards should I get? Mesa 5I25 & 7I85S ?
2. The Home/index signal from glass-scales, whichs posistion is it generally located?
3. What PC platform is a good & reliable start ? eg. all recent Mini ITX with PCI bus connector available apply?

Id love to hear your thoughts , conceners or sarcasm if the questions above are not of interrest :-)

//Steven

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2014 00:47 #53291 by steven4601
I'd like to show some progress I am making with the CNC conversion.

Rambaudi V2 to CNC Z-gearbox first test:

More
25 Dec 2014 19:04 #54302 by steven4601
The conversion has almost completed, it is ready for milling, but some cable protection and clamps are yet to be installed.

My results with the mesa io cards, steppers & linear glass scales are what I hoped it to be. Cheap, accurate to 2...3x the glass-scale resolution. But the nema34 with the limited 60Vdc supply makes that the rapids are not fast.
14mm/sec is pushing it for the x&y. Z axis is crawling at 1mm/sec due to the gearbox.

I hope to upgrade the Z-axis with a much beefier setup in the future, but for now its more than I need as a hobby.

To show the machine actually works I recorded a video (with a phone this time) of testing both the CNC first steps and my first a attempt with a carbide cutter.
There is so much to learn still as I discovered the feed rates are hugely important with such tiny endmills, the deflection was more than 100 micro-meters causing uneven finish on the v-pocket, this failure in feedrate is audiable where it starts to dig-into the material. I am using fswizard on zero-divide.net They also have a mobile version which is great when your out in the man-cave and only have your phone as an internet connected device with you.

caution for audio: high pitched whine from spindle & cutter.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds