Proto Trak MX3 Retrofit - Which Boards Mesa?

More
26 Oct 2015 08:27 #64274 by Jrjones
I measure 220 Ohms between the PWM and NPWM pins on my servo drive, will that be a problem?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2016 18:49 #76760 by jardomi
Hello, I´m drawing the servo motor & amplifier schematics, on the servo amplifier pin #13 is 5V, #14 is Limit Switch and it go to ground at the end of 14pin round conector (once connected to external box between CPU and ServodriveMotor Assy), pin #15 is 0V (GRD) or 5V return, pin #16 is PWM, pin #17 is NPWM and pin #17 is shield and chassis earth/ground.

I would like if you repeat the test with scope of PWM using pin #15 as ground, Ch1 on PWM and Ch2 on NPWM.

5 Vdc supply comes from Motherboard´s servoboard on console and generally it returns (0V) is connected to chassis earth/ground, it is connected to the servo motor encoder (HEDS-9000 Avago) and 2 optocouplers in servo amplifier main pcboard.

Limit switch activates an optocoupler 6N139 (single LED input Darlington output) and PWM /NPWM activates HCPL2232 (2 LED input each outs to AND gate).

I have Mesa board and I´m trying to connect this drive to upgrade the proprietary 486 motherboard´s console.
Attachments:

More
12 Jul 2016 02:01 #77329 by techrat
Your schematic looks to be correct to me. I now have all 3 Axes functioning using 7i25 and 7i85s Mesa boards. Another thread that has some excellent information on the subject can be found here. forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/38-general-linu...7i85s?start=30#77328

If you have any specific questions regarding my set-up, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Jeff

More
17 Jul 2016 07:55 #77567 by vsidon

Your schematic looks to be correct to me. I now have all 3 Axes functioning using 7i25 and 7i85s Mesa boards. Another thread that has some excellent information on the subject can be found here. forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/38-general-linu...7i85s?start=30#77328

If you have any specific questions regarding my set-up, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Jeff

Hi techrat
I've read recently your work about the Prototrak conversion, and it is awesome. I was thinking to convert my Bridgeport mill machine too. But to be honest I'm very new in servos control.

I've the same Servo controller that you (20201) and apparently the same motors too.

So I've a lot of questions about that :) and I would really appreciate your help.

Why you used the "Mesa 7i85s" instead of a simple "brakeoutboard" from ebay?

Can you please upload some pics of your setup configuration? That's really can be helpful.

My initial plan was to purchase a old pc and install LinuxCNC on it. But I have the "Raspberry Pi", so maybe I'll use it. And then connect the breakout board on it and the Servo controllers to the breakout board. But reading your post, I'm not sure that this will be the best way to follow.

Thanks.

P.D.

Sorry for my bad English, I'm studing the language yet.

More
17 Jul 2016 17:18 #77573 by andypugh

Why you used the "Mesa 7i85s" instead of a simple "brakeoutboard" from ebay?.

The Mesa 7i85 (or, in fact, just about any Mesa card, or any Pico or Genreral Mechatronics board) can read encoder pulses at at least 250kHz and in some cases as much as 10MHz. A parallel port + breakout board (or a Raspberry Pi) has to count encoder pulses in software and so can only really manage 10kHz encoder counting.

Also, you have a very limited number of IO pins with a parallel port, and no easy way to get analogue voltages to control servo drives.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vsidon

More
17 Jul 2016 18:20 - 17 Jul 2016 18:28 #77574 by PCW
The PWM generation will also be an issue with a parallel port/RasPI implementation

For a step/direction driven system, a parallel port + simple breakout will work fine
as should a RasPI if low enough kernel latency is possible.

The Prototrack hardware is not step/direction and needs multiple channels of differential
15 KHz PWM and has high resolution encoder feedback, neither of which are going
to work well with a parallel port or RasPI GPIO interface
Last edit: 17 Jul 2016 18:28 by PCW.

More
18 Jul 2016 05:13 #77586 by vsidon
Thanks guys for your feedback.

In this point I'm not sure how to proceed. About the "RasPi" I remember that I used it for my Laser Engraver, so, my best option is to use a PC with LinuxCNC installed
on it.
So, what I suppose to do? I have read the two topics from techrat and Jrjones and replies from you. Jrjones has used an Ethernet interface from MESA and the 7i85s daughterboard, and apparently he needed some additional configuration.
The last thing that I've read is that techrat has used a 7i25 H-Bridge for his project, and this confuses me. So, If he uses the 7i25 I suppose that he no needs the servo amp from prototrak.

I need to do much more researching about how to use the MESA board because I'm in blank. In the past I have used only stepper motors and it's more easy to configure it and I was thinking to purchase 2 NEMA motors and put them instead of the original servos but the torque/horse power relation it worries me.

I've attached a diagram that's how I think it is the connection.
In resume. I just need :

1.- PC - LinuCNC
2.- 5i25 PCI board.
3.- 7i85s Mesa Board
4.- Servo Amp from Prototrak
5.- Original Servo an Encoders.
?

Thank you.

More
18 Jul 2016 12:03 #77591 by andypugh
The diagram looks about right. If your hardware is currently functional then the Jrjones solution is probably best.
You should be able to simply re-use all of his config files as-is of the machines are identical.

More
02 Aug 2016 21:21 #78305 by techrat
So I have the Servo control pretty well down now. From the start, the 7i84 was recommended for GPIO. I am at the point right now where I want to add Home/Limit Switches and likely some other I/O is the 7i84 a good choice to add on to my existing configuration for GPIO?

Thanks!

More
02 Aug 2016 22:49 #78307 by andypugh
Take a look at these, and decide which one is the best fit:
store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=83_88

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds