Oxyfuel CNC Torch Height Controller

More
23 May 2016 01:15 #74964 by Marcin_ose
Hello Friends,

Marcin here from Open Source Ecology - opensourceecology.org.

We are going back to the next iteration of a CNC torch table and want to install an automatic torch height controller - for oxyfuel cutting.

Does anyone have experience with building an oxyfuel torch height controller?

Thanks,
Marcin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2016 10:24 #74973 by cncbasher
with oxy it's more a question of keeping the torch at a predetermined height , and perhaps fit an ignighter at the tip.
far easier than a plasma , and add some extra outputs to switch solinoids for gasses etc . you need to be able to cut the gas
under estop etc , if the torch is fixed it's far easier , finding suitable gas solinoids is possibly the hard part .

More
23 May 2016 10:30 #74974 by andypugh
I imagine it would need to be a capacitive system?

I do have some experience in building a capacitive measurement system from scratch, and it wasn't all that difficult.

I used a small centre-tapped pulse transformer as two legs of a bridge:
The layout was similar to this one:
ccphysics.us/henriques/p202lab/capfromdistance.htm
Except that I excited the system with a few kHz of AC and the resistors shown in that picture were the coils of the pulse-transformer.
If I was doing it nowadays then the excitation and measurement would be done by an Arduino. Those had not been invented 25 years ago when I built my Cam Plastometer.
Reading that page, I am not sure why I used AC. That page suggests that DC measurement can be used.

If using AC you need to rectify a very small voltage. An op-amp can be configured to act as a perfect diode, and a second amp in the same chip can be used to boost the voltage to the required range for an A/D converter.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precision_rectifier

More
23 May 2016 10:40 - 23 May 2016 10:51 #74975 by cncbasher
sorry yes Andys correct ,a Capacitive system would be the way to do , done easily with an arduino , i have seen some code on the internet for capacitive height control .
you can also use a LVDT linear pot , and a hoop resting on the plate , but this can be troublesome if your cutting small parts or
the mechanics of the hoop become stuck , these problems drove me nuts at the time
a infra red height sensor will do the same thing , so long as you focus the spot outside of the cutting area

Although you have all this covered on your Wiki pages it seems Marcin.
opensourceecology.org/wiki/Sensing_Distance_from_Work_Piece
Last edit: 23 May 2016 10:51 by cncbasher.

More
24 May 2016 09:03 #75027 by Marcin_ose
Andy and others,

There is good information on our wiki already - but I came to this forum to see if anyone has done something similar.

From our wiki at opensourceecology.org/wiki/Sensing_Dista...uel_Torch_Technology

this one is referred:

www.rutex.com/us/index.php?productID=117

At $99 that is reasonable.

DIY route appears incomplete here, and is cheap.

opensourceecology.org/wiki/PSoC_Torch_Height_Sensing

The preferred route is of course to prove and opensource an Arduino circuit.

Marcin

More
24 May 2016 09:32 #75028 by cncbasher
theirs a number of ways this can be done , but it's totally different than using Plasma ,
you could isolate the cutting tip of the torch and use that as your cap sense , for example , then take the output straight into Hal
using the THC Comp , and do all the rest inside linuxcnc .

or as you suggest using an arduino

More
12 Sep 2021 16:10 #220337 by rajsekhar
Hello..everone.
I am trying to make a oxyfuel machine..and a THC. I am planning to measure distance using laser..
Can anyone share any case using laser..and the adruino codes??

More
12 Sep 2021 18:56 #220356 by Marcin_ose
We are doing a capacive height sensor that is located behind a shield. Using Marlin 3D printer firmware, which has built-in height control. See wiki.opensourceecology.org/wiki/CNC_Torch_Table_v19.10

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds