custom machine build

More
04 Sep 2016 11:46 #80011 by scerbera
Hello to all,

My first post!

I think i'd like to use linux to control a custom machine, I am reading through the site but perhaps some help would be cool too. I have experience of mach3 and we have a small machine running that at the moment. I also have used an xyz machine for the last few years with the prototrak control. We program entirely offline with cam software and import gcode to run.

We desperately need a super rigid and accurate machine and I have budget for one of around 20k, which doesn't really seem to get me what I want.

But for that outlay i'm thinking we could build a machine. The design i'm thinking will have a bed that moves on the x only, travel will be as long as possible. The head will be on a gantry above that moves in the y axis, to keep the atc simple the y will extend past the milling area to an area to the side where it will be able to slot the tool in, move away, then there will be an axis for the tool carriage to move along and bring the selected tool to the correct position, the head will move down attach and then slide out and back to the milling area of the bed.

I'm hoping that is fairly simple to control.

In the future I will add an a and b axis to the bed.

I need a fairly substantial spindle, bt50 would probably suit, but there is much less choice from the sources I have looked at. Most of the bits will be sourced in China. So bt40 gives a better choice so i'm not sure on that yet. Also considering hsk63, so not sure on that aspect yet.

I will want the usual home and limit switches, coolant and air blast etc.

I have no idea on the hardware I need to run this I haven't looked into it as you can lose hours looking for things and I am super busy all the time. So any suggestions would be well received!

I am also open to servo drive suggestions etc!

Many thanks indeed, Ryan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2016 11:56 #80012 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic custom machine build
I wonder if you could adapt an old planer or plano-mill? That should more than achieve your rigidity requirements.

No price here, though: www.emtc.lt/en/milling-machines/plano-mi...e-sv236f60-cu/id-801

But this machine sold with plenty left in the budget for the control and upgrades:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-metal-Milling-m...rksid=p2047675.l2557
The following user(s) said Thank You: scerbera

More
04 Sep 2016 12:15 #80013 by scerbera
Replied by scerbera on topic custom machine build
I am looking at this option, hadn't come across anything suitable. I was hoping to buy a t slot base that was flat and build off that. I don't need a massive machine, our parts are around 400 * 600 at the largest. Mostly aluminium but also some hard steel up to 40mm depth which needs to be very accurate and we aren't achieving that at all on the xyz machine. The way I was going to do it extra x travel is there for minimal extra cost so was going to take advantage of it.

More
04 Sep 2016 12:19 #80015 by scerbera
Replied by scerbera on topic custom machine build
There are plenty of vmc on ebay for 10k ish, but they are all old of course, and I assume could have a modern control system installed, but how rigid will an old machine like that be? I could change ball screws to c3 class if they weren't etc.

More
04 Sep 2016 14:06 #80018 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic custom machine build

I am looking at this option, hadn't come across anything suitable. I was hoping to buy a t slot base that was flat and build off that. I don't need a massive machine, our parts are around 400 * 600 at the largest. .

Ah, when you said "as large as possible" I was thinking in terms of the sectional bridge-mill at MPM which I think could be 100 feet long if they installed all the sections :-)

I would generally expect an old machine made of plenty of iron to be more rigid than a modern one. I think that prismatic ways are more rigid than linear slides, for example.

A planer / plano-mill / bridge mill might be a better choice if absolute accuracy is called for,

Or maybe an open-sided grinder, as used or reconditioning lathe beds?

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds