Mazak VQC 15/40 ATC carousel type

More
13 Apr 2017 09:02 #91286 by rirazvan
I almost finish retrofitting my Mazak VQC15/40.
The machine has been manufactured in 1992 using Meldas 335 NC system and MR-S servos.

I did replace all electronics including servo motors and ball screw encoders. The only think that is still on the machine is the spindle motor and spindle driver.

I did use Mitsubishi MR-J2S-B fully closed loop servos with YSSC2P SSCNET card .
In order to reach the necessary I/O for retrofitting I use a FX3u-80MT PLC with MODBUS RTU.
All the I/O that are handled trough MODBUS have a delay of around 60ms. Because of that all the high speed I/O were connected directly to the YSSC2P card.

The machine ATC has 16 tool carousel driven by a geneva cam. The motor that rotates the geneva cam is hydraulic .
The tool fingers are mounted on a chain. picture attached.

In order to do the tool change we have the next process:

Z axis reaches the home positions (top)
Spindle has to have zero speed and has to be in orientated, if those too condition are valid the OTR relay turns on.
If OTR relay (over travel release) is activated the hardware limit on Y will be extended allowing the Y axis to extend and the spindle is able to reach on top of the positioned finger.

The ATC does not have an arm. The pick place motion is done by Z axis.
Also the spindle has to be oriented and with zero speed in order to enter in the Y extended area.
Spindle orientation is done with one inductive sensors placed on the spindle shaft. Unfortunately the spindle motor PLG disk has only 128 notches so is not precise. I was able to count both A, B pulses and determine the direction of rotation with the YSSC2P SSCNET card.

I did wire the sensors and the hydraulic valves coils to the PLC.

Can I use the carousel component to control this ATC?
Can I use the orient component to orient my spindle?

I am asking because it not have a rotating arm and does not move on to the spindle. All the motion to change a tool is done by Z and Y axis except moving to another pocket.

Razvan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds