Robotic manipulator machining standard step-nc part with LinuxCNC

More
05 May 2017 03:56 - 05 May 2017 07:08 #92680 by jstoquica
Good night,

Thanks to LinuxCNC controller it was done a experiments with advanced language programming based in CNC technology. Standard CAD part was used to improve programming of industrial robots.

Regards.
Last edit: 05 May 2017 07:08 by jstoquica.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2017 16:57 #92712 by andypugh
Do you have any more details on this?

Did you write a pluggable STEP-NC interpreter for LinuxCNC?

More
07 May 2017 12:31 - 07 May 2017 12:32 #92772 by jstoquica
Andy,

Sure, I am a lot information of videos content. We are working in new step-nc programming method for industrial manipulator, but that information only was published after accepted of scientific journal. I will sahre with LinuxCNC community.

The idea is to have a RS274NGC adapter for step-nc standard. Step-nc is a new language programming, a g-code evolution.

I am attaching a step-nc (p21) adapter manual, developed in java and integrated with LinuxCNC. But It only have 5 working-step features to machining.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Are you interested in make a project with community to develop a RS274NGC adapter for step-nc standard into running in LinuxCNC?

Regards.
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 May 2017 12:32 by jstoquica.

More
08 May 2017 10:02 #92809 by andypugh

Are you interested in make a project with community to develop a RS274NGC adapter for step-nc standard into running in LinuxCNC?

To be honest I do not think that that is the correct approach.

LinuxCNC supports "pluggable interpreters". If you look, for example, at the sim/axis/canterp demonstration config you will see an example of a configuration that uses an example motion-control grammar based on the canononical motion commands. There is also a sample "not-G-code" file here:
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/master.../canterp_example.can

To use STEP_NC with LinuxCNC the best solution would be to use this approach, which means that none of the STEP-NC information needs to be lost during the conversion to G-code.

There is also a nearly-complete interpreter which could probably do the job.
code.google.com/archive/p/iso-14649-toolkit/

This was written by NIST and I think that the output is the exact canonical motion commands that LinuxCNC (also originally written by NIST) uses.

More
09 May 2017 13:28 #92923 by jstoquica
Andy,

Thanks for your explanation and LinuxCNC future development approaches with step-nc.

iso-14649-toolkit is a great solution, but is not update with recently changes from STEP-NC standard. Today there are a lot of standards (P21, P14, AP203, AP242, AP232...) with specific information to build a structure machining language.

I think to develop a step-nc interpreter for LinuxCNC or adapt "iso-14649-toolkit" will increase the applications (academic & industrial) with LinuxCNC controller having compatibility with modern programming languages based in CNC technologies.

Regards.

More
19 Feb 2018 13:55 #106170 by jstoquica
Hi everyone,

I am sending recently publication about STEP-NC standard based on OAC (Open Architecture Controllers). We were working with linuxcnc as g-code interpreter.

rdcu.be/DuSE

link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00170-017-1466-8

Again I suggest to community and available developers planning and developing an STEP-NC plugin/toolkit to integrate with LinuxCNC. G-code is a good solution for robot/machine programming but it is obsolete, for that reason it is necessary to update our controller (LinuxCNC) to keep it current for industry and academic applications.

Regards.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds