Yaskawa Servopacks any good?

More
18 May 2017 13:23 #93346 by rodw
I saw these servos and drives for them and wondered if they were worth grabbing to get to learn how to play with servos. I'd be using them on a parallel port initially. Seemed cheap enough and I don't see many servos in my part of the world. He links to the manual in the listing.

www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yaskawa-servopack-sg...a:g:SmMAAOSwTM5Y1bws

Maybe 2 of them could go on my lathe eventually.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2017 14:16 - 18 May 2017 14:19 #93350 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Yaskawa Servopacks any good?

I saw these servos and drives for them and wondered if they were worth grabbing to get to learn how to play with servos. I'd be using them on a parallel port initially. Seemed cheap enough and I don't see many servos in my part of the world. He links to the manual in the listing.

www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yaskawa-servopack-sg...a:g:SmMAAOSwTM5Y1bws

Maybe 2 of them could go on my lathe eventually.

Those drives are rock solid. You can't break them. Make sure the command interface is what you want. They have a few different ones and the mechatrolink is a big "stay away".

I have yaskawa drives on my big machines and I wouldn't have anything else.

They are easy to work on and not expensive to repair that model type. So just make sure the control interface you can use +_10v, and you will be happy.
Last edit: 18 May 2017 14:19 by bevins.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
18 May 2017 15:16 #93353 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Yaskawa Servopacks any good?
Oops I bought them. There will be many many questions to come. Looks like the manual he linked to was wrong but I found the right one. No Mechatrolink! So the drivers say they take 110 volt. We have 240V in Australia. Do I need a step down transformer? If so should it be isolated?

Thanks Bevins

More
18 May 2017 17:30 #93358 by tommylight
yes and OH HELL yes !!! :)
isolation is always good for that "why is my hair going up, i do not have hair" moment.
Just check if they take 110V AC or DC. AC = just a transformer, DC transformer 75-80V plus rectifier plus capacitor, a big one.

More
18 May 2017 18:56 #93363 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Yaskawa Servopacks any good?

Oops I bought them. There will be many many questions to come. Looks like the manual he linked to was wrong but I found the right one. No Mechatrolink! So the drivers say they take 110 volt. We have 240V in Australia. Do I need a step down transformer? If so should it be isolated?

Thanks Bevins

WOW. I'm surprised, they are usually all 220 volts. I never seen one at 110volts.

You'll be happy with them.

Post the link to manual. I'd like to take a peak. They usually use active low so be careful, you'll need a ground to enable and low inputs.
Whats cool is they have a Pot and Not, and your Limit switches go directly into the drives, not linuxCNC. The drive lets you jog off in the correct direction but not the other way. Do the soft limits thing in Lcnc though. They are cool drives......

More
18 May 2017 21:04 #93366 by tommylight
50W motors ?
I have used even smaller ones, namely 28W ones. With some reduction they can do plenty of things.........like moving a coffee cup closer to you ! :)

More
18 May 2017 21:46 #93368 by rodw

50W motors ?
I have used even smaller ones, namely 28W ones. With some reduction they can do plenty of things.........like moving a coffee cup closer to you ! :)

at 3000 rpm I wonder if any coffee will be left in the cup! Yes I saw they were tiny by the torque rating but good to train up on for when you show me how to retrofit a lathe :)

I think this is the manual
www.yaskawa.com/downloads/search-index/d...s&docnum=TSE-S800-15
Pretty scary reading

I saw this 240-110 V isolated power supply. but I am sure there is a cheaper way. Non Isolated version is about $90 from these guys.
www.tortech.com.au/step-down-transformer...tep-down-transformer

More
18 May 2017 23:06 - 18 May 2017 23:08 #93372 by tommylight
How much is that in US$?
On the manual it say "position or velocity control signal", nice.
That is one nice user manual, tons of info.
Lathe? What, where, how, why, when????? I have 3 already crammed into my shop, leme get some pictures...

Small one already cnc-ed, big one came with cnc, middle one will have to go out !

Damn those are some c@#$ pictures, battery is low so it will not turn on the flash. Sorry for that.
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 May 2017 23:08 by tommylight.

More
18 May 2017 23:37 #93373 by rodw
I'll be watching your Mazac build...

I've got this lathe, now with a DRO, swing is 13"

I made the stand after this happened. Had to rig up a block and tackle to stand it upright as at 280kg we could not lift it.

Anyway, I have been thinking of getting a little lathe with 80-100mm chuck for a CNC experiment, maybe these will run it. Something like this and it already has electronic speed control on the spindle:
www.machineryhouse.com.au/L687#

More
19 May 2017 01:00 #93374 by tommylight
I would skip it and do the big one, but you might need to do parts for it on the big one, sooooo........never mind.
The one you have looks nice and is about what i need normally.
So to recap, buy small one, cnc small one, make parts for big one, sell small one, cnc big one, make chips and watch grinning like a kid!

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.537 seconds