Harrison Alpha 550 Plus Retro

More
11 Sep 2017 04:27 #98814 by chopper79
Well after I finished up my MC-500v2 retrofit I decided I needed another project ;)

I have been searching for a lathe for about a year and just happen to come across this one at a very good price. Everything works on it, besides the controller has an issue. This means I must remove all bad control boards and put a Mesa LCNC setup in it. I will not be getting to this one for a couple months yet, but wanted to get the thread started.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2017 04:53 #99020 by andypugh
I like those, quite an imaginative design, and part of the inspiration for me putting a pair of MPGs on my own saddle.

More
17 Sep 2017 16:42 #99064 by chopper79
I agree.... I have always liked the idea of a manual/cnc hybrid machine. I seen your machine a few months back when you posted a link. I have to say that is what really sold me on the idea of finding a lathe that was similar in setup.

More
19 Sep 2017 13:44 #99120 by RotarySMP
Nice score. If that is original paint, it looks like it hasn't worked very hard. How worn is the bed?
Mark

More
19 Sep 2017 23:06 #99144 by chopper79
It is original paint. The ways are in good shape besides a couple small dings up by the chuck area. Nothing that will harm the functionality of the machine though. I see those couple small dings as oil catchers. ;)

The machine needs a good clean down for sure, but all in all I agree it is a nice score for $800.00

More
20 Sep 2017 06:18 - 20 Sep 2017 07:41 #99150 by RotarySMP

It is original paint. The ways are in good shape besides a couple small dings up by the chuck area. Nothing that will harm the functionality of the machine though. I see those couple small dings as oil catchers. ;)

The machine needs a good clean down for sure, but all in all I agree it is a nice score for $800.00

For $800 that is not really a nice score, it is more of a "you suck" :)

<jealousy> Now we get to the bit where you mention that the seller called you up a week later to say he found the box with the 18 new multifix holders and the unused Röhm four jaw chuck, and you should pick them up </jealousy>
Mark
Last edit: 20 Sep 2017 07:41 by RotarySMP.

More
20 Sep 2017 12:26 #99159 by chopper79
I wish he called and said that he found those. The chuck, holders, and rests will cost as much as I paid for the whole lathe. Either way I still came out on top I do believe. We will see when I get into ripping it apart, worst case is I make my money back on parting the lathe out.

More
21 Sep 2017 06:06 - 21 Sep 2017 06:07 #99195 by RotarySMP
I looked at some Youtube videos of those Harrison CNC lathes. Pretty cool solution for a home shop/job shop/prototyping environments.

Hope you can get the accessories for it. I hate when machines get split from the accessories.
Mark
Last edit: 21 Sep 2017 06:07 by RotarySMP.

More
22 Sep 2017 02:46 #99237 by andypugh

I wish he called and said that he found those. The chuck, holders, and rests will cost as much as I paid for the whole lathe.

For Multifix clones, take a look at Create Tool.

www.createtool.com/list.asp?cid=33

I found them easy to deal with (swift email responses from "Nina") and the quality is fine. Not _quite_ as good as the Swiss, but then significantly much cheaperer too.

They don't list them on the web page, but they can also supply blank holders (splines only, and with height adjuster and clamp screws)
The following user(s) said Thank You: chopper79

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.264 seconds