Emco PC 55 mill conversion sugestions

More
20 Sep 2018 14:21 - 20 Sep 2018 14:24 #117793 by Aaroncnc
Another update.

The single hex inverter worked.

No i am using the parallel port plus a cheap china BOB.

Once i get everything running fully i plan to get a mesa card but for now i want to keep the budget low while i learn.

I am facing a new problem but this one is not software.
I broke the machine down and gave it a good cleaning of all bearings and components and even a new paint job.
The thrust bearings are in perfect shape but the ballscrews seem worn.
With everything assembled again and turning the ballscrew by hand i get about a 0.25 turn before the table moves/i can feel any resistance.
So knowing the the trust bearings are good and its not shifting there that means the balls or the track or both have worn.

Looks like im going to have to take out the screws and remove the ball nut measure the balls and order a size larger or two and repack this thing.

Has anyone repacked a 8mm ballscrew before i have seen and read people doing 12mm and 16mm but never an 8.
I looked into buying new ballnuts but they are 80$ a pop for a 8mm 2.5 pitch ballnut with no screw and with screw its about 150$ per and i would need 2. for both the X and Y

I know that is not crazy expensive but trying to keep costs down
Last edit: 20 Sep 2018 14:24 by Aaroncnc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2018 15:43 #117801 by andypugh
You are probably correct about the source of the problem, but also check that the ball nut is rigidly mounted to the carriage.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds