Gerber D-200

More
11 Feb 2019 16:36 #126203 by Maxwell
Replied by Maxwell on topic Gerber D-200
Thank you again, this is really great!

I have explored Enroute, but don't use the router enough to justify the cost. Plus I'm not a Windows fan, so I'd love to utilize something non-Microsoft and lose the Windows XP computer that I have been using for some time now... I'd rather not invest in another PC so I can invest in more costly software.

I'm not overly familiar with board level modifications, or repairs, but I'm not afraid to jump in. Do you have a recommendation for both of your suggestions? Boards I should purchase to bypass the Gerber system entirely, or what you used, and (if its not asking too much) how you assembled it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2019 19:22 - 11 Feb 2019 19:23 #126215 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Gerber D-200
For the way I did it you will need:
1 - 37pin cable (either wack one end off so you can use the wire leads or get a 37pin cable breakout board, I have the board)
a piece of perf board
4 of these chips www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelec...Zq9rRehoCFTwQAvD_BwE
and a couple of ordinary parallel port breakout boards (I used a C10 board and another board I had laying arround.)

If I did another one of these I would not bother with the 37 pin breakout, but it was very nice for testing, and with both a male and female 37 pin plugs, let me easily snoop the old Arc Station's signals.
I would also probably spring for screw terminals for my home-made board (this one I just soldered on wire leads that I then connected to the other 3 breakout boards.

To to it the easy way you would need:
3 step motor drives (something like a TB6600 ought to work fine)
1 parallel port breakout board. (I needed 2 for the other way because I had to have 12 outputs to control the 3 motors vs 6 for ordinary step/dir commands.)
one or more small relays you can control with the 5v from the breakout board to control the spindle and other peripherals.

I also added a Z-home switch. to the machine using a prox switch.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2019 19:23 by Todd Zuercher.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds