How do I get started with replacing excellon CNC 6?

More
06 Aug 2018 20:43 #115687 by nerdjuice
So I am a network administrator and know very little about these machines. I was originally asked to look at this CNC 6 to see if the 5.25 floppy drive could be replaced with USB. My question as I have been doing my research, why do we need this old CNC 6 controller at all? But my question is, how to I physically interface with the machine? I know that is not likely a simple question, but if you can send me some resources to start figuring that out, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2018 23:43 #115703 by bevins
What type of machine is it?

The first thing I would check is the motors and drives and see if you can control the drives..( proprietary interface? +-10v? step/dir? etc...).

That's a good place as any to start.

Once you get that straightened out, check how many inputs does the machine use and how many relays required.

Then start figuring out the logistics of operating it, depending what type of machine it is to see if LinuxCNC is a valid option.

That's where I would start.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nerdjuice

More
07 Aug 2018 00:08 #115706 by nerdjuice
It's an Excellon Mark 5.

Other than that, I don't know how to answer any of your other questions

More
07 Aug 2018 13:10 #115742 by nerdjuice
Basically my resources right now consist of operators who only understand "I insert disk, machine go vroom vroom" and an outside company that bills us a substantial amount of money to just keep patching this thing back together and does not express any interest in helping me figure out how to completely bypass this machine they keep fixing.

More
07 Aug 2018 13:28 #115743 by bevins
Post closup pics of motor labels and drive labels and someone here can help.

More
07 Aug 2018 13:59 #115744 by nerdjuice

More
07 Aug 2018 14:01 - 07 Aug 2018 14:08 #115745 by bevins
Do you have modules that look like this?

/edit snip

Those look like PWM drives. You know if they are DC servos? You have pics of the servos?
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Aug 2018 14:08 by bevins.

More
08 Aug 2018 10:26 #115799 by andypugh
I see "tachometer" so I suspect that we are looking at a brushed DC servo drive.

Which parts keep failing? If it is the drives then you would not want to keep them, but the retrofit is simpler if you do.

More
08 Aug 2018 10:28 #115800 by andypugh
Can you attach a sample G-code file?

More
31 Mar 2023 15:32 #267969 by tamadus
The CNC-6 is one of the best controllers Excellon ever made. After more than 35 years servicing and repairing these machine in my humble estimation the OP should keep the controller. Networking the machine on a DNC network means the floppy drive is only used to load system software and I already have an emulator which has system software on an SD card. I know this is anm old thread but if the OP would like to contact me I can give a lot more advice.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds