VFD for a retrofitted Tree Journeyman 320 B

More
23 Sep 2018 19:53 #117904 by Roland2161
Hello all,

I just purchased this guy's cnc machine. www.cnczone.com/forums/vertical-mill-lat...-320-b-retrofit.html

He did a great job. Runs good etc etc. I Need to purchase a phase converter to run this at home. But I also want to buy a VFD to put on this as well. Machine has stock speed selction and motor with pulley system and H - L manual selection. I am under the impression that if I buy a VFD I can run the machine on regualar 220. Is it even possible to use a variable frequency drive with mechanical speed selection?

I am unsure of what I need to search for or where to even get started on deciding what to buy. I can just get a phase converter and run the machine, but i'd prefer to spend the money on doing the same thing, and making the machine better instead.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2018 12:30 #118003 by andypugh
With a single-phase input VFD you should be able to power the rest of the machine from single phase pretty easily.
Is the input transformer for the servo power single phase or 3 phase?

You can use variable frequency with mechanical speed selection. My milling machine has 8 gears and automatically sets the motor speed to give the correct spindle speed (if possible) in every gear. If the machine has a spindle encoder then the system can work out the selected gear by comparing VFD and spindle speed ratios.

More
28 Sep 2018 01:03 #118087 by Roland2161
Thank you Andy. The machine is equipped with everything needed to read rpm. It just hasn't been programmed in yet. Waiting on the wiring diagram.

I will look further into this. I will reply back with questions on the next step.

Thank you

More
28 Sep 2018 01:06 #118088 by Roland2161
I also believe the only thing requiring three phase is the motor. The guy I bought the machine from will forward the wiring diagram and I willwill know 100%.

More
Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds