Limit sensors on Hardinge CHNC-I lathe

More
25 Sep 2018 15:20 #117962 by jmelson
We are retrofitting a 1986 CHNC-I that originally had the General Numerics control. The axis servos and drives were previously replaced with Parker/MTS brushless motors/drives, and we now have those working very well. Now, on to the home and limit sensors. Taking them off the machine, we just see "MicroSwitch, Freeport IL", no part number or anything! The parts book shows a Hardinge part #, but that doesn't help much. Does anyone know what these sensors are? I'm pretty sure they are actually sensors, not mechanical switches, as they don't click when actuated.

The sensors all have red, black and brown wires. Typical in industrial controls, red is + supply, black is ground and brown is the sensor output. The wiring diagram kind of confirms that, but we don't know what voltages these sensors should be supplied with.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide!

Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2018 16:29 #117967 by Todd Zuercher
A photo of the switch might help id it.

More
25 Sep 2018 20:01 - 26 Sep 2018 01:30 #117969 by jmelson
It looks like the small microswitch, I guess about 1" long and .6" high, and about 3/8" thick. It is the same size as the mechanical microswitches, but we think this is actually some kind of sensor in a matching physical package.

Jon
Last edit: 26 Sep 2018 01:30 by jmelson. Reason: corrected dimensions

More
26 Sep 2018 14:22 #118008 by Deckerjwd
im working on a hardinge Superslant with a General Numerics control, it had this cam based limits all in the resolver, but it also has capacitance sensor for a coarse home. the micro switches i think are red and have 3 wire in the connector, only two went all the way to the controller. you can check the continuity, if it is a switch it will have continuity on two wires and will change to a different wire on activation. if it is a sensor you may have continuity on 2 or all three wire and it will not change if you activate it. switches will also click in my experience sensor don't. all my sensor on my hardinge run on 12 volt, i have both 12 volt and 24 volt in the controller, but the 24 volt seem to only run the ssr

More
26 Sep 2018 14:30 #118009 by Deckerjwd
also most sensor i work with are Brown +, Black Out, and Blue -. some but not all 5-24 or 5-36 volt. if you can get one on a bench start with the lowest voltage your controller has in its box

More
26 Sep 2018 19:06 #118016 by Deckerjwd
found more info here
www.centroidcnc.com/downloads/centroid_HardingeManual.pdf if this match your lathe the switch are covered on page 57

More
27 Sep 2018 04:05 #118028 by jmelson
WOW, thanks for that Centroid manual, I think it will be a BIG help! Picture 5.8.13 on P54 looks exactly like the sensor I uncovered to look at. P 57 was basically blank - it just says parts list. But, other than the exact wiring, it confirms what I needed to know. We do have wiring diagrams for the machine, so that should confirm the + V and gnd connections to the sensors.

Thanks again,

Jon

More
02 Oct 2018 14:18 #118349 by JR1050
Those are " solid state " switches. They are similar to a Hall effects switch. They can be replaced with standard mechanical micro switches . It seems I ran into a similar issue some years back, I sent a picture of the switch to Digikey and they had a replacement. They were inexpensive.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds