Manual milling machine retrofit with DMM-tech drives and motors

More
11 Jan 2019 21:32 #123992 by sixtimesseven
Hi

I'm looking into the options to retrofit a manual milling machine (xy table + spindle on the z axis) with servo motors.

I found the DMM-Tech line of DYN2 / DYN4 drives and servos which I thought were interesting from a performance and price point of view. I'm leaning toward the DYN4 because if I include the power supplies the price difference is small. Unless there is a good reason to go with the DYN2?

Also, I thought about buying 0.75kW motors and drives since the price difference is so small (particularly if I think about what the shipping to europe costs) and that I might need bigger motors in the future. Unless there is a good reason to buy the smaller ones? In stepper bigger motors tend to cause higher vibration but this should not be true for servos(?)

For the controller I was looking at the MESA boards. Here I'm a bit confused about all the options. Is there a list comparing the different boards / options? I could go with a 7I76-5I25 PLUG-N-GO KIT since I have a board with PCI connectors laying around but is there a good reason not to? The site really makes it difficult to compare their products... :(

Thank you very much for your help!
More
11 Jan 2019 23:50 #124000 by tommylight

sixtimesseven wrote: In stepper bigger motors tend to cause higher vibration but this should not be true for servos(?)

For the controller I was looking at the MESA boards. Here I'm a bit confused about all the options. Is there a list comparing the different boards / options? I could go with a 7I76-5I25 PLUG-N-GO KIT since I have a board with PCI connectors laying around but is there a good reason not to?

That is correct !
As for Mesa, if you can get the drives that are controlled with -+10V analogue, you will be much better off if you get the 5i25/7i77 combo. That way you get full control from the Linuxcnc as the position loop is controlled by it.
More
13 Jan 2019 21:37 - 16 Jan 2019 03:58 #124110 by joekline9
If you use the Mesa 7i77 I think you need the DMM DYN4 controller as it has encoder outputs. The DMM Servos are awesome.
Last edit: 16 Jan 2019 03:58 by joekline9.
More
15 Jan 2019 16:08 #124238 by andypugh
Avoid the DYN2. They use a 5V control voltage that floats high. So if the control wire comes loose the result is full motor speed....

The Dyn4 does not have this problem.
Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds