Gantrykins/Trivikins

More
26 Jan 2019 15:36 #124901 by norbertfarquharsh
I have a home built gantry CNC machine that has been working for four or five years until the last few weeks when it would no longer drive two joints in parallel. I have been working on it trying various things and actually having to relearn things about setting up a four drive system so that two drives worked together. I had to remember finding out about gantrykins, etc. I discovered that the gantrykins entry in the config file had been changed to trivkins. So something had happened.
Enough of that. I finally found this web site: linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/getting-sta...e_to_the_new_version.
I did as it suggested and installed the new files but they had already been loaded on the system. The configuration files had not been edited as I thought they would be so I did manual edits to try to fix them.
I soon learned that I should stop immediately and ask for help. And I will greatly appreciate any help as I am really lost.
Attached are copies of the .ini and .hal files and a copy of the crash report.

Joe

File Attachment:

File Name: gantry_2019-01-26.ini
File Size:2 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: docKinemat...2619.doc
File Size:123 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2019 16:14 - 26 Jan 2019 16:25 #124902 by dgarrett
Replied by dgarrett on topic Gantrykins/Trivikins
first reported error:

./gantry.hal:4: Ini variable '[KINS]KINEMATICS' not found.

The kinematics entry applies to the master branch (2.8~pre) but other
aspects of your ini file indicate it is for 2.7. If you install the master branch
(from a buildbot deb for instance), an 'update_ini' script will attempt to
convert a running ini file for2.7 to a file compatible for 2.8.

This inifile formatting (based on common shorthand notation)
is incorrect:
[KINS]
[KINS]KINEMATICS = trivkins coordinates=XYZY kinstype=BOTH
[KINS]JOINTS = 4
[TRAJ]COORDINATES = XYZY

proper format (the ... indicates other required items intervene):
[KINS]
KINEMATICS = trivkins coordinates=XYZY kinstype=BOTH
JOINTS = 4
[TRAJ]
COORDINATES = XYZY
Last edit: 26 Jan 2019 16:25 by dgarrett. Reason: seems to be running 2.7.14 not the master branch
The following user(s) said Thank You: norbertfarquharsh

More
26 Jan 2019 17:46 #124911 by norbertfarquharsh
Thank you very much for your reply. I can edit the lines you mention, but as I understand your first paragraph, I should do something to install a master branch which will do other corrections. When I followed the instructions in the link I included, it did install 2.7.14 and I see it is not the master branch.
Sorry, but I do not know what the master branch is nor how to discover and install it. I thought that updates would be automatic to Linuxcnc. The link I mentioned had a new source to add and some to remove from Synaptics. I do not know how much that happens nor how to keep up with it.
I am not complaining but just showing my ignorance of proper procedure to keep my software up to date.
So again I thank you for your information but there is a lot more that I am asking now.
Joe
P.S. The sign in name is something I had to come up with long ago because I have a common name and it is impossible to use any part of it as it is all taken.

More
27 Jan 2019 06:43 #124948 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Gantrykins/Trivikins

More
27 Jan 2019 16:27 #124977 by norbertfarquharsh
Thank you for your help and information.

I went to the site and followed the instructions. When I did the command for the key, the response seemed to indicate that no action was performed; that is, it downloaded and tried and reported it had not made any changes. Then I created the file in /apt/sources and put in the entries that I thought were appropriate and did the apt-get and install and that also reported no changes made. When I got done with that I restarted the computer and when Linux came up then there was an indicator that there were updates to install of Linuxcnc and docs. So that was done.
I looked at the .ini and .hal files and saw no changes and started my gantry application. It failed with the error message of an error in line 4 of (I believe) the .ini file KINS[KINEMATICS] not found.
I did a lot of searching on the web and man pages to get a better explanation or samples to show how to set this up and I could not find what I needed to clarify this situation. It is probably available somewhere but I do not know where.

Joe

More
28 Jan 2019 21:05 #125096 by norbertfarquharsh
Thanks to both of you who responded. The machine is now working. I do not understand all of what happened but with the update some things worked and then I edited the file to correct the syntax errors that were pointed out in the first reply and almost) everything is okay. For some reason now the axis orientation is incorrect in that travel and home direction is backward. I will work on that.

Joe

More
29 Jan 2019 23:03 #125221 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Gantrykins/Trivikins
Can you post your current INI file so we can see where you are?

What does it say in the top bar of the LinuxCNC window?

More
30 Jan 2019 15:14 #125298 by norbertfarquharsh
Thank you for following up. As I said in the last mail, I do not understand all I did and all that happened but it worked after I did the edits you suggested, so I let it go.
At the top of the control window it has "axis ngc -AXIS 2.7.14 on gantry. I thought that it would maybe say 2.8 after the updates that happened when I did the procedures. And I keep checking for updates and none are available.
And I will attach the .ini. Everything seems to work except the homing of the Z axis and I remember working on that when I first got the machine working and figure that i will figure that out sooner or later.
Joe [

attachment=17733]gantry.ini[/attachment]
Attachments:

More
30 Jan 2019 15:28 #125302 by norbertfarquharsh
Just now an update arrived from the new source. It was new documentation that went to /usr/share/doc/linuxcnc.

More
31 Jan 2019 19:52 #125430 by norbertfarquharsh
I am sending the .ini file again. I worked on the CCN machine again today as I had taken it apart when the one axis stopped working as in my testing it appeared that the stepper driver box had a bad drive since the CNC had been working for years and some lead swapping seemed to confirm that it was a drive. I got a new drive and was working with that to get things working. Today I put the original drive back in and found that the CNC had joints going in the wrong direction .I got the X and Y working okay and the Z is still not working correctly, but this is the latest..

File Attachment:

File Name: gantry_2019-01-31.ini
File Size:2 KB
Attachments:

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds