Splitting encoder signal to closed loop drive and linuxcnc for homing with index

More
01 Jun 2019 10:57 #135556 by microsprintbuilder
Has anyone ever used a encoder signal from a servo motor to provide feedback to a servo drive and linuxcnc. I'm looking to retro fit a older Hitachi seiki lathe with DC brushed motors and spindle. The motors all have encoders but no tach's. I was thinking of replacing the drives with Gecko G320X closed loop drives. But they don't provide an encoder out. I also need encoder feedback to linuxcnc thru a Mesa card to have a homing with index for precise repeatability. I was wondering if this has been done before and if there is any problems doing it. The spindle is easy as I will just build a simple mosfet drive with forward reverse relay.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2019 12:07 #135559 by Todd Zuercher
There are better drive options than a Gecko 320x. Most will offer an encoder feedback for the control.

Is your machine an old Fanuc control with simulated tack feedback form the control? (it is possible to do that using Linuxcnc and the right hardware.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnmc1

More
01 Jun 2019 16:06 #135574 by microsprintbuilder
You Failed to answer my question. You are no help at all.

More
01 Jun 2019 16:28 #135576 by Todd Zuercher
It can work but is more prone to noise issues.

More
04 Dec 2020 23:42 #191084 by hoffb77
For future reference, I have done this twice on a couple machines using Gecko G320X's. It works but I will not do it again. The two main reasons have nothing to do with the feedback issue. 1. The G320x's max out at 80v (90v if you are careful) 2. That forsaken #5 pin. (I relay 5v for enable and use a low level opto to signal a drive fault to the mesa card along with some logic. It works but what a waste of time.)

As far as splitting the encoder signal to each drive I used buffer cards from Automation Direct. They produce a differential output from either a TTL or differential input. Input voltage can be up to 24v and the outputs are at 5v - A /A, B /B, Z /Z.

These cards are reliable so far and their only downfall is the 1Mhz limit on the pulse count.

FC-ISO-D

More
10 Dec 2020 12:47 #191577 by microsprintbuilder
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds