crushed Zaxis scale cable ... fix?

More
17 Sep 2019 18:17 #145421 by jamby
Hey

Well I stepped in it again. I was checking out the range of motion on my Zaxis after replacing the lower limit switch when I came up against a cap screw and the cable from the Zaxis scale. Now when Zaxis is moved the read out in Lcnc shows no motion. So I am assuming I have broken at least one connection. See picture below..

Is this something a five thumbed mechanic can repair?
Splice at the squash spot?
Replace the cable entirely?
Send it back to the factory for repair?

Thanks
Jim
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2019 22:19 #145458 by andypugh
It's fundamentally just wires. You should be able to strip back and repair with heat shrink.

If you stagger the joints you can often leave the individual strands uninsulated.

More
18 Sep 2019 00:25 #145471 by jamby
Thanks Andy

I wasn't sure what was under the armoured cable and I understand the idea of staggering the the joints but I am not sure about "uninsulated".
I would ordinary stagger the joints shrink wrapping each individual wire and then shrink wrap the group of wires. Possibly both over the internal wires the over the armour cable.

Jim

More
18 Sep 2019 11:41 #145500 by andypugh

I would ordinary stagger the joints shrink wrapping each individual wire and then shrink wrap the group of wires. Possibly both over the internal wires the over the armour cable.

That's obviously better, but might be more bulky. If the cable needs to still fit through a hole then I will sometimes rely on the stagger and existing insulation to isolate each solder joint.

More
18 Sep 2019 17:24 - 18 Sep 2019 17:37 #145526 by jamby
Andy

I am putting a fair amount of force on the cable cutting both the armour and plastic shields to get to the wires, wires that are more like hairs, what are the hopes of being able to open the read head and replace the section of cable coming into the read head? Playing with fire?

Are there special tools required to solder wires this small or shrink connectors that work on wire this small?

Could the read head be removed from the housing without destroying the scale?

Thanks
Jim
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Sep 2019 17:37 by jamby.

More
18 Sep 2019 18:09 #145532 by andypugh

what are the hopes of being able to open the read head and replace the section of cable coming into the read head? Playing with fire?[/code] I think I would try to avoid it.

Are there special tools required to solder wires this small or shrink connectors that work on wire this small?

I would be using shrink sleeving, not any kind of pre-assembled connector.

You could consider soldering each core to a small bit of proto-board 4 stripes wide, then heat-shrinking the whole thing.
But just stripping, tinning and joining the wires with solder shouldn't be at all hard.

Could the read head be removed from the housing without destroying the scale?

Probably, but I am not sure it would help much.

More
18 Sep 2019 22:54 #145540 by cmorley
Here is the manual for it:
www.acu-rite.com/pdf/manuals/obsolete/ENC125TEmanual.pdf
Not much info there really.
They look like normal Acurite scales - you remove the end cover and slide the reader off.
If you can't fix it, you could also buy a used reader off ebay I suppose - just need to make sure it's the exact same same model.

Chris

More
18 Sep 2019 23:28 #145542 by jamby
Chris

Is removing the end cap and sliding the read head out a ease thing to do. No problems sliding the head back into the case?

Thanks
Jim

More
18 Sep 2019 23:54 #145545 by cmorley
Not the same model as your but roughly the same idea.
The photo diodes are on a spring/guide mechanism.(plate on angle with pen holding it open on one side)
just have to be careful about making sure that is in the right place. - not rocket science - I'm just a millwright :)

Take a picture of it before you slide it all the way off. i think you'll figure out how it works no problem.

imagebin.ca/v/4vUavMDSjnBF

More
19 Sep 2019 03:25 #145550 by jamby
Thanks Chris
I'll give it a try if I can tomorrow.
Jim

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 1.280 seconds