Interface with Dyna DM 2400

More
15 Nov 2019 11:04 #150414 by johanneshk
Hello,
I'm thinking of buying a Dyna DM 2400 (see this site with a lot of information on this machine: members.optusnet.com.au/swensenr/DM2400.html ) . This would be my first CNC machine and so I'm new to anything CNC related. I do have some experience with CAD, but no CAM. The machine runs it's own instructions, see the Google Drive link on the website above.

Here's my question: I'd like to be able to run the machine with G-code so I could use standard CAD programs. Obviously I could do a retrofit and replace the control and steppers with modern equivalents. But are there alternatives? Assuming I can get a connection with a PC up and running, I should be able to run line by line instructions of the Dyna programming language. Now I wonder: Could I write a translation script from G-code to the Dyna language and then run that? Does that make sense? And could I further create a board (e.g. based on Raspberry PI or whatever) which handles the RS232 on the one side and provides a USB or Ethernet interface for me to run G-code which is then automatically translated?

I guess I'd like to determine if this is in principle possible. Then I would need to decide whether it's worth the effort, or doing a retrofit is actually the better solution.

Again, I'm new to this and looking to learn.
Thanks,
Johannes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2019 12:20 #150417 by tommylight
Nice little machine, seems to me it is the same as having a fashion model for a girlfriend : it looks awesome but chances of living together are slim to none, and slim is out of town !
If the price is right, i would retrofit it for sure, going through all those hoops in this day and age is not reasonable. Otherwise i would stay away from it.

More
19 Nov 2019 12:59 #150637 by andypugh

Here's my question: I'd like to be able to run the machine with G-code so I could use standard CAD programs. Obviously I could do a retrofit and replace the control and steppers with modern equivalents. But are there alternatives?

Having downloaded the service manual from your link, there is no need to replace the motors or the stepper drivers, these are standard step-dir drives.

There is serial communication between the controller box and the "power distribution board", so a LinuxCNC retrofit would substitute a PC + parallel port (or, preferably, something better than the parallel port) for the existing controller and power distribution board.

I was hoping that it would be possible to plug LinuxCNC in to the same port as the existing contoller, but it seems not.

Where are the stepper drivers? It looks like they _might_ be next to the motors, rather than in the main system box?

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds