G203v use of the enable feature for something???

More
12 Jan 2020 01:08 #154656 by mooser
Getting ready to install the new control box I've been building for my lathe and I just looking at the gecko g203v drives and started wondering about the enabled pin
On the last controller I had a switch wired to them so I could disable an axis if I wanted to, now as it turned out I don't think I ever used that feature even once so I didn't include it this time.
While the control board is out on the bench I'm wondering if there is any reason I might want to wire it into the 7i76 somewhere for some reason that just escapes me at this time?
Safety?
Machine has no hand-knobs left so pretty hard to move manually

Anyway, appreciate any input or suggestions
Thanks
M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2020 03:03 #154660 by Leon82
I thought about sending the disable thru the other half of the estop switch back to terminal 12 but ended up just using an output for a relay for the driver power supply.

More
12 Jan 2020 03:58 #154662 by rodw
I think the only use for the disable pin is to disable the drive when hitting estop. But apparently, using a relay on an estop (to switch 5 volt to the disable pin from field power) is not compliant. Its better to drop the mains power to the stepper power supply which can usually be done mechanically on the estop switch itself. Even Gecko show no connection to that pin.

More
12 Jan 2020 14:48 #154674 by mooser
That's more or less what I've got now. The e-stop disables the 7i76, which in turn breaks the coils for the spindle and drive board contactors

If I had manual handles I'd wire something into the disabled inputs but I just can't think of any reason to have them otherwise
M

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds