Nema 34 face plate

More
29 May 2020 19:34 #169342 by kjames
Nema 34 face plate was created by kjames
Hi all,
Does anyone know if it's possible to buy just the face plate for a nema-34 stepper? I have a motor that works fine but a while back I over-tightened it without a cutout for the large circle around the shaft on the bracket, and ended up breaking off a couple of the corner mounting holes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2020 20:09 #169347 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Nema 34 face plate
I Don't think it would be possible. If there was some of the corner tabs left maybe it would be possible to make something that slid over the motor that would let you clamp the motor into position. Sounds like a great job for a plasma cutter!

Thanks for the mounting tip by the way!

More
29 May 2020 20:16 #169349 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic Nema 34 face plate

Hi all,
Does anyone know if it's possible to buy just the face plate for a nema-34 stepper? I have a motor that works fine but a while back I over-tightened it without a cutout for the large circle around the shaft on the bracket, and ended up breaking off a couple of the corner mounting holes.

If you take the faceplate off the motor it will let the magic magnetism out I believe.

You might be able to to make a plate to go on the back of the motor with some studs to clamp i

More
29 May 2020 21:17 #169356 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Nema 34 face plate
As Clive mentioned, if at any point in time, you removed the rotor from the stator or just moved it out of it by about a cm or two, throw it, it will not be usable.
You can remove the back and front plate as much as you like, but do not move the rotor out in any direction.
-
What type, make, etc, or a picture of the motor. I can do some diving in the shop tomorrow to see if i have any left.

More
29 May 2020 23:35 #169362 by kjames
Replied by kjames on topic Nema 34 face plate
Thanks guys,
I have not moved the rotor at all - I've taken the plate off before (to repair one of the wires) and everything inside stays put.

The motor is a MotionKing 23HS8404. I've attached a photo so you can see what I broke :)
Attachments:

More
29 May 2020 23:58 #169364 by rodw
Ouch, a good one! Now I know why you want to salvage it. JB weld perhaps...
This is the brand of motor that Lam technologies rebadges

More
30 May 2020 03:32 #169381 by BeagleBrainz
Replied by BeagleBrainz on topic Nema 34 face plate
I'd write it off and grab a new one, shouldn't be all that much....and you'll learn a lesson ;)
Keep the busted one for testing, what worries me most, from the picture, is the damage to the top left side.
Are you sure it's a NEMA 34 and not a NEMA 23 ?

More
30 May 2020 03:45 #169382 by rodw
The Beagle's got brainz! it is a NEMA23!
www.motionking.com/show_products_detail.asp?ID=10&fenlei_ID=2

But its not your average cheap $20 chinese motor. Based on a recent quote for the same brand 100 mm long @ AUD $165, my guess is about AUD $140-$150

More
30 May 2020 09:38 - 30 May 2020 09:40 #169400 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Nema 34 face plate
Yup that looks like a 23.
I do have one of those but it has different hole pattern, so it will not fit.
As you can see in the attached picture, i use them as bearing mounts for shafts, a lot, even dismantling some new 5 phase motors for the mounts. The one with the rotor still attached i can send you as it has the closest hole pattern to yours, might need to drill 2 of those holes as they are for an M3 screw.
Given the state the world is in, do not expect it any time soon, i have plenty of stuff i ordered that got lost and never made it here during this CCP thingy.
Please do check if the bearing OD is 22mm.
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 May 2020 09:40 by tommylight. Reason: attachment

More
30 May 2020 20:20 #169450 by Mike_Eitel
Replied by Mike_Eitel on topic Nema 34 face plate
You could try with liquit metal. Just takes long to get realy hard. Or some other 2 component stuff.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds