Help! Constant High Pitch Sound From Only One Stepper Motor

More
01 Sep 2020 03:06 - 03 Sep 2020 15:23 #180252 by TannerFrisby
[Solution: The noise followed the driver. Replacing the driver with a comparable alternative fixed my issue. I might take a look inside the faulty driver and see if I can spot an obvious fault, but for now I am on to the next gremlin.]

Hello all, I hope this is the correct subforum to ask this:

I am outfitting a machine with closed-loop stepper motors. Three of the motors (of different size and different brand) are working as well as I could ask, but I have one NEMA 34 hybrid stepper motor and driver from Longs Motor that isn't. The motor makes a constant "alarm" style noise when it is energized. It functions correctly but it is very loud and incessant! When I start the machine, it sounds off, stops briefly, and then continues as long as the driver is powered. Please help me troubleshoot this dang motor/driver.

Thanks,
Tanner Frisby
Last edit: 03 Sep 2020 15:23 by TannerFrisby. Reason: Posting solution to the titular question

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2020 07:15 #180266 by Clive S
Have you tried changing the micro steps on the drive?
The following user(s) said Thank You: TannerFrisby

More
01 Sep 2020 08:51 #180279 by rodw
If you swap motors between drivers, what happens? does the noise follow the motor or the driver?
I've had a good run with Longs motors drivers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TannerFrisby

More
01 Sep 2020 10:05 #180290 by tommylight
Wow, that was to much noise !
Steppers do have often a high pitched whine, but this is on another level!
First check the wiring and connectors between motor and drive, if that is OK, send it back.

More
03 Sep 2020 15:33 #180556 by TannerFrisby

Have you tried changing the micro steps on the drive?

I was hoping this would be the fix. I mean REALLY hoping. No dice.

If you swap motors between drivers, what happens? does the noise follow the motor or the driver?
I've had a good run with Longs motors drivers.

I received a CL86Y driver with similar specs for a different project I'm working on and swapped it in. The noise did not follow the motor (which implies it would probably follow the Longs motor driver, but I haven't checked). I might take a peak inside the driver to see if I can spot a blown cap, bad solder joint, burn marks, or similar. I'm not blaming Longs motors on this one, I definitely could have been the problem. I hobby at night and when I'm exhausted, which are the times I'm most prone to errors.

Anyway, thanks to all who gave input. A member of another forum claimed to have resolved a similar problem by finding a bad solder joint on one of his connectors.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds