Stepper Motor Question

More
04 Sep 2020 19:31 #180742 by kbec
Stepper Motor Question was created by kbec
I was looking to try a different option than the Sherline steppers. I am not sure what is important besides the holding Torque. I was wondering about other things like voltage. I am using the Stepperonline DM542T, which seems to be able to compensate across a lot of different voltages automatically, and current being adjusted by DIP switches. I think I need to stick with what I have highlighted in Green, the items I am unsure about are orange.

The motors I have currently are unipolar and have the specs:
Frame size NEMA #23
Shaft 1/4″ diameter, dual shafts
Holding Torque 1.35 N.m (Newton meters)

Maximum RPM 530 RPM
Axial-Force Fa=15 N Max., or 3.37 lbf Max.
Radial-Force Fr=75 N Max., or 16.86 lbf Max.
Rotor inertia 480 g-cm2
Voltage 4.5 V DC
Current 2 A

Step Angle 1.8° (200 steps/rev)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2020 20:37 #180751 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Stepper Motor Question
Most of that is not very important, the important parts are the holding torque and how much of it you need for the use case, and the voltage and current that in your case are not the best but will work OK, just do not expect much speed from them ( or any steppers ).
If they are the 8 wire type, do use the bipolar connection to the drive, that way you will get the most out of them.
If they are 6 wire ones, you have a choice of having the full torque and less speed or less torque and more speed, using both winding for the first case and only one winding for the second case.
If you happen to have the 5 wire type, they can not be used with those drives, so do not attempt anything.

More
04 Sep 2020 21:14 #180759 by kbec
Replied by kbec on topic Stepper Motor Question
So more voltage and/or current is better? I think the drive can support up to 4.2 peak amps.I have a 30v power supply that will power 2 motors. Eventually I will have another power supply, but am focused on just getting the 2 steppers working now.

Thanks

More
04 Sep 2020 21:30 #180765 by tommylight

So more voltage and/or current is better? I think the drive can support up to 4.2 peak amps.I have a 30v power supply that will power 2 motors. Eventually I will have another power supply, but am focused on just getting the 2 steppers working now.

Thanks

Less voltage/ more current are better due to lower inductance, hence the possibility of spinning them faster.
30V will do just fine, but what current ?

More
04 Sep 2020 23:11 - 05 Sep 2020 01:58 #180769 by kbec
Replied by kbec on topic Stepper Motor Question
I just measured and now my biggest issue is the shaft length. After looking around, I think I can just grind off the excess.

I found one with 3.2v, 2.8A and 1.9 NM, would that seem good? I assume the 542T drive can step down the voltage to what is needed even though I am inputting 30volts.

They have 4 wires, which I think will work fine.

Thanks for your help
Last edit: 05 Sep 2020 01:58 by kbec. Reason: answered my own question, had some specs wrong

More
05 Sep 2020 07:52 #180788 by tommylight
Yes and yes.
More speed and more torque.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds