Poser supply wiring to switches and motors questions

More
20 Oct 2020 20:57 #186749 by kbec
I have a Mesa 7i96 and looking to wire up limit switches to it. I have a small Sherline mill and most what I have seen uses a hefty power supply. My setup currently has a 5v power supply for the board, and a 36v for the motors. The 36v has 3 36v connections, and I wired each to a motor driver.

I am looking to add the limit switches and another axis, do I need another 36v or other power supply? Can I just hook up more than one motor to the outputs on the power supply?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2020 21:04 #186751 by rodw

I have a Mesa 7i96 and looking to wire up limit switches to it. I have a small Sherline mill and most what I have seen uses a hefty power supply. My setup currently has a 5v power supply for the board, and a 36v for the motors. The 36v has 3 36v connections, and I wired each to a motor driver.

I am looking to add the limit switches and another axis, do I need another 36v or other power supply? Can I just hook up more than one motor to the outputs on the power supply?

Thanks

My take would be that normally you would end up wit 3 power supplies, 5v logic, 24 v field power and motor power.
A small 2 amp din rail 24v power supply would be sufficient. I made a big mistake here and wasted a lot of space in my control panel!

More
20 Oct 2020 22:37 #186764 by BeagleBrainz
I think I'm up to 6 PSU's ATM.

But to be fair 1 is is an "always on" 24V dc supply that controls a bunch of contactors to control the AC power to various other areas. Tho I think I have gone a little overboard, trying to be modular.

More
21 Oct 2020 00:43 #186772 by kbec
Constantly learning as I go so to speak. I kind of thought the three power outputs on the power supply were isolated, but I don't think they are. I may end up wiring one of the sets to a couple of terminal blocks and run that to my stepper drivers. That may make things a bit neater. Right now it kind of looks like a spaghetti bowl. The terminal blocks I do have in place help a lot.

My 36v is 10A, and my 5v is 5A.

More
21 Oct 2020 00:47 #186773 by rodw

I think I'm up to 6 PSU's ATM.

But to be fair 1 is is an "always on" 24V dc supply that controls a bunch of contactors to control the AC power to various other areas. Tho I think I have gone a little overboard, trying to be modular.

With the 7i76e, you could do it this way but for the 7i96, you have to add a 5V logic supply as well.

24v 1.7A Meanwell MDR-4-24 power supply and 60v AC 12.5A custom toroid dual wound for 110v and 240v input.
More to come...
Attachments:

More
21 Oct 2020 00:47 #186774 by BeagleBrainz
As Rod said a separate 24V dc psu would be the way to go, they are pretty inexpensive and don't require a lot of power.

Leave the 36V for the Motors.

More
21 Oct 2020 01:32 #186777 by kbec
I have a Masso Optical encoder that needs 24v too, so I am hoping to be able to use that for the limits and the encoder, correct?

More
21 Oct 2020 01:53 #186781 by BeagleBrainz
Should be ok. I'm only saying "should" as Murphy's Law could rear it's ugly head.

More
22 Oct 2020 22:44 #186937 by kbec
Now I have a 24v on the way. Do you guys know of anywhere that shows some sort of wiring schematic?

I really like the DIN rails and stuff, but all of that comes at a price too. Maybe I'll do that down the road some time. Right now everything is scattered on my table.

More
22 Oct 2020 23:01 #186939 by tommylight
Warning:
Do not use 24V encoder wired directly to the Mesa board encoder inputs ! They are 5V inputs, so use of voltage dividers on the encoder output/Mesa input is mandatory.
Maybe those can be used as MPG encoders on field inputs, so do aks PCW .
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds