1989 Matsuura MC-760VX

More
15 Feb 2021 05:17 - 15 Feb 2021 05:18 #198899 by BenDiesel
Hey all, long time reader first time poster. I have been looking for a mill that can fit in my garage and I found this little jem on cl. It's free I just pay moving whis about 2400 from my last quote. It does have a problem with the controller. The owner says it was working perfectly and it setting having problems with the controller. It also comes with the 4th axis and it appears to have a chiller for the spindle along with a 31 tool changer. Although it seems to be a slightly strange transfer random pot swing arm. Might be interesting to program.
Heres what he said in a email

Here are my notes from technicians around the time it went down:

“Machine has a 325 SERVO CPU ERROR alarm that won't clear. Looked up alarm in the manual and it states to contact your Yaskawa representative and also replace MB20. Called into Selway and left all info; awaiting a callback. Selway is still troubleshooting as of 10/21/2019.

Cable is here ready for install. 10/22/2019.”

“We managed to clear the 310 alarm by forcing a bit the servo on with parameter 1322 bit 7. Now able to move Y axis but will over travel. X axis will bomb out and same with Y axis. The 4th axis when it we try and move we get multiple alarms. Meg the 4th axis motor found the motor to be good but cable between motor and connection in side work area is bad. Will need to replace the cable. We are still chipping away at the other alarms that will appear for others. For now we are going one alarm at a time to figure out everything that is wrong with this machine.”

“Worked with Robby to figure out issue with machine. Swapped power supplies and still keep getting alarm 310. Swapped mm20 board and got the 310 alarm and 322 alarm now. Still working out what is causing this issue.”

Issue immediately prior: “PC CPU Error cant clear, Machine down, James/Vendor cleared 329 alarm. Probly caused by bad communations cable, chip in board, or bad machine ground.”

We believed that the issue may have been corrected by replacing this part:

YAI Part #: NCX3320
Description: JANCD-MM20/ DTN-4790/X3 MEMORY BOARD

We did not have conclusive evidence that this would solve the problem, and the Yaskawa tech support recommended coming out and swapping boards until the problem was resolved to troubleshoot the issue (meaning they weren’t sure either). The faulty axis cables were replaced.

So I'm wondering if you experienced people think this would be a good candidate for a linux cnc update? What would I expect the servos and spindle to use for controllers? How would I operate the two speed gearbox? Any thing in should know that I'm not asking?

I do have experience operating okuma and haas mills. And experience building and heavy modifications to 3d printers aswell as arduino and other micro controllers(I know this would be way more advanced) ]

Thanks for the input.
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Feb 2021 05:18 by BenDiesel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2021 06:48 #198904 by RotarySMP
Replied by RotarySMP on topic 1989 Matsuura MC-760VX
I known othing about this machine, but industrial CNC machines are very modular, so don't do anything radical like ripping everything out of the control cabinet and starting from scratch.
Do you have a complete set of wiring diagrams? That is essential.

Put some effort into getting it running under its original control. That effort (even if it fails) will help you understand the systems. If you can get it running, but decide to retrofit, it is easier, as you wont have unknown failures in the systems you want to keep.

Every machine is a good candidate fro LinuxCNC, as it is so flexible.
Mark

More
15 Feb 2021 08:28 - 15 Feb 2021 08:34 #198908 by BenDiesel
Replied by BenDiesel on topic 1989 Matsuura MC-760VX
Thanks for the input. I dont think I ould get it running on it's own hardwere because they think one of the. Controll boards went tu. I havent seen the machine in person yet. I go Tuesday to look at it. Where would the manuals be kept? Any idea where I could find them of they aren't with the machine? I tried Google but no luck.
Btw I love your YouTube channel. I have to ask if your in Austria how did you go to Boeing surplus in Seattle?
Last edit: 15 Feb 2021 08:34 by BenDiesel. Reason: Add info

More
15 Feb 2021 09:40 - 15 Feb 2021 10:01 #198909 by RotarySMP
Replied by RotarySMP on topic 1989 Matsuura MC-760VX

So I'm wondering if you experienced people think this would be a good candidate for a linux cnc update?

Your questions are currently too general for us to provide much help.

What would I expect the servos and spindle to use for controllers?

Take photos of the motors, drives and there data plates. Hopefully one of the standard interfaces. Step/Dir, +/-10VDC Analog, CW/CCW etc.

"How would I operate the two speed gearbox?"

I would not worry about the gearbox control at this point. There are number of different approaches to this in LinuxCNC or ladder, so it can be solved, but is not urgeant for your project t this point. Once you get that point, you will be able to formulate the right questions.

Any thing in should know that I'm not asking?

How long is a peice of string? :) How urgeant is this project? Necessary machine for your company? --> Pay for service. Hobby machine which you would like to get working in the next year? Get the wiring diagram and get started :)

Where would the manuals be kept? Any idea where I could find them of they aren't with the machine?

Ask the owner. From the description, there has been significant trouble shooting done, so I assume someone at that place has the manuals and schematics. If not, contact the manufacturer. That is what I did. If you have to pay for them, it is worth it. They normally have a good archive of all the machines and their "as delivered" configuration. The wiring diagrams are more important than any other manuals. I would consider it essential to attempting this job to have them.

You can start with the assumption that there is only a a couple of errors in the machine. If there is a known bad controller card and it is expensive to repair or replace it, that is the same starting point I had. I lobotomised my machine of it's defective Phillips controller, as it would have been too expensive to trouble shoot, and was not 3D capable. If you have the wiring diagrams, you can easier interface your replacement LinuxCNC + Mesa card brain into the existing I/O, drives, and sensors. You will probably encounter a couple of additional hick ups along the way as well, but the schematics are the essential basis for troubleshooting.

I work in aviation, as have been to Seattle a few times for courses, meetings and aircraft deliveries. Nice city.
Mark
Last edit: 15 Feb 2021 10:01 by RotarySMP.

More
15 Feb 2021 13:41 #198932 by johnmc1
Replied by johnmc1 on topic 1989 Matsuura MC-760VX
Nice looking machine
Manuals especially the wiring schematics are a must have essential.
cheers john

More
15 Feb 2021 17:22 #198951 by BenDiesel
Replied by BenDiesel on topic 1989 Matsuura MC-760VX
Oh cool. I worked at Boeing Everett for 9.5years. 6.5 building 787 and 3 on 767. Are you aog or?
I will definitely look for the wire diagram.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds