[Beginner] Is it healthy for a lathe to run the head stock at an angle

More
05 Sep 2022 14:39 - 05 Sep 2022 14:43 #251231 by NoobMachinist29
Hello everyone! 

I have been following the forums for some time now but I never posted until now. 

I got into cnc machining last year and I'm building my first cnc lathe at the moment.

I would say I have most things mechanically figured out regarding the build but one thing in particular keeps bugging me. My lathe is Proxxon's 250/e, a pretty small hobby machine.

The problem lays in that I am taking the head stock of the lathe and I'm going to attach it to a sliding table that I constructed with linear rails and ball screws. The electric motor that runs the lathe is annoyingly placed right below the chuck on the side, and because of this, there isn't enough clearance for the new sliding table that I built. 

I have considered ways around this issue but given it's my first time doing this, I would like to get opinions from folks wiser and more experienced than myself. The idea that makes most sense to me at the moment is to put the original head stock at an angle and resolve the issue that way, but I am not even sure if this would be healthy for the machine? Can the head stock run properly at a 45° angle?
​​

I would greatly appreciate and welcome a response!
Last edit: 05 Sep 2022 14:43 by NoobMachinist29. Reason: rearrangement of the text

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2022 17:57 #251241 by cmorley
Only thing that comes to mind is oiling issue - if there is an oil sump.
If it's small enough it may be grease only.

More
05 Sep 2022 21:36 #251257 by andypugh
How are you angling it? Presumably a rotation around the spindle axis.
As Chris said, other than lubrication there should be no issue.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds