Retrofit help

More
31 Jan 2023 07:10 #263303 by cncenthusiast
Retrofit help was created by cncenthusiast
Hi folks,

i^ve got an old EIMA CNC machine 4 axis 3 spindles with an old NUM control thats still working but i want to replace because its very unhandy.
The question is now what kind of mesa hardware I need to work with this machine and linux CNC.
Currently there are Siemens Simodrive 611 installed with analog controls.
Maybe someone can bring a bit light into the mesa jungle
the biggest problem i guess is the 3 spindels i assume i need 3 spindle encoders for that

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2023 10:03 #263330 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Retrofit help
You only need spindle encoders if you are planning to use spindle-synchronised motion. (lathe threading, for example)

If the drives use analogue control signals than the usual choice would be the 7i77 card, connected either to a PCI 5i25, PCIe 6i25 or an ethernet-connected 7i92.
Given that the 5i25 and i25 are out of stock, the 7i92T(M/F) looks like the likely choice (the M/F is which gender of DB25 is fitted. Check with Mesa which one you would want)

There are other options, for example the 50-pin boards (such as 5i24-25 + 7i36 as an in-stock option if you want to use a PCI card solution. (The PCI-e 6i24 is shown as out of stock) )

In both cases a 7i44 or 7i74 can be added to allow up to 8 smart-serial peripherals to be connected.

More
31 Jan 2023 10:16 #263331 by cncenthusiast
Replied by cncenthusiast on topic Retrofit help
seems then i need no spindle encoder.
then i will use the 7i92 because ethernet is prefered
i will run propably in a lot trouble running this projekt but i hope it can be done
thanks andypugh

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds