Interfacing with Hanning motor and control

More
24 Mar 2024 03:25 #296610 by Kandu
HI All,I am trying to revive an old CNC Wabeco mill, My next step while I wait for new drivers to show up is to interface with the motor/spindle control. There seems to be a lot going on to control the motor, so i am hoping that I can connect to this to control the spindle speed and direction.I cannot find any information online about this setup and I have emailed Hanning but received no response. I would like to find out the pinouts for the 9 pin connector, and all of the other unused connectors.

seems like a decent solid motor and control, else I will just control speed manually, maybe install a tachometer somewhere to it too.

Behind the speed control knob, hoping there is a way I can connect to the RS232 (?) or there are a lot of connections that are not being used, else i need to find a way to emulate the Potentiometer and the fwd/rev switch. 

Connects to more electronics via another 25 pin

more electronics above the motor, appears to read the speed of the motor as well,

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2024 14:49 #296622 by PCW
The 9 pin connector is likely some serial interface (modbus?)

It is currently using what looks like a standard potentiometer +FOR/REV
interface. These can connect to most analog spindle interfaces on parallel
port and other LinuxCNC interface hardware.

More
25 Mar 2024 04:00 #296680 by scotth
This is all I could on the drive. Not much help.
Attachments:

More
25 Mar 2024 09:48 #296706 by Kandu
That looks like the right setup, just need to find the right one for the motor I have, which is much older, (around  the year 2000 I think)See attached, this is the closest I could find, but its hard to determine if the diagram is for the board I have, there is the correct number of connections however, that is promising.

Current Config, 

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

More
25 Mar 2024 11:08 #296711 by tommylight
Potentiometer is wired incorrectly.
In general it should be:
one side of pot to agnd
the other side of pot to +10V
the middle of pot to AIN

More
26 Mar 2024 11:17 #296807 by Kandu
Bummer, I'll keep searching. how is linuxCNC able to control a potentiometer input? i must be missing a keyword, cant really find an answer. Thanks again for your help.

More
12 Apr 2024 11:06 - 12 Apr 2024 11:12 #298057 by Kandu
I have made some more progress with this, I received a reply from Wabeco, they sent through the following diagrams, however i would still like to know more, (i.e. if there is possibly an RPM output and/or other means of control)

They also mentioned to contact MOBASI inn regards to a control software and motor wiring, ill give that a go

One is for the control panel that is visible behind the speed dial, the other is for the board on the motor.

Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Apr 2024 11:12 by Kandu. Reason: added detail

More
12 Apr 2024 11:14 #298059 by tommylight

Bummer, I'll keep searching. how is linuxCNC able to control a potentiometer input? i must be missing a keyword, cant really find an answer. Thanks again for your help.

Analog inputs, some Mesa boards have them, some do not.
Just to be sure, you are dealing with analog output from Mesa to VFD, not an input.
Mesa analog output is for all intents and purposes, a potentiometer with 3 pins, so same as in schematics, only difference: mind polarity.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds