LinuxCNC + Fanuc ALPHA motors but with new drives

More
10 Apr 2024 15:10 #297936 by ldmarsaglia
Hello guys,

I'm not used to post here, I'm mostly using the mailing list but may be this way It can reach more people. 

Quick sum up. I have a 1997 Daewoo lathe with a Fanuc OT-C control that has problems more often that I can tolerate. It has the red cap Fanuc alpha servo motors. I'm attaching a picture of the Z axis servo motor, and also the encoder mounted on it. The X axis is similar although the power output of course is less. 

My idea is to do a quick retrofitting as soon as the control finally dies (or if I need to replace something that's too expensive) so I need to be prepared.

What I want to do is keep the original servo motors, but interface them with LCNC. From what I could read I may have to replace the encoders on the motors, wich is ok. Also I need to find  suitable drivers for the servo motors. I would like, if possible, to use a Yaskawa drive (wich I know can handle PM motors) or may be a chinesse generic servo drive to feed them (In that case I would need to replace the encoders for the ones the drive is ready to read). But I don't have too much time for experimentation. So what do you guys think? 

Thanks in advane for your help!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2024 02:48 #298330 by turbo_sally
pico-systems.com/osc2.5/catalog/product_...ath=3&products_id=36

Will get the encoder working.
ALLEN-BRADLEY ULTRA 3000 drives will control the Fanuc servos. Look on ebay for ones to match the power of the servos. You can then use the tuning software to tune the servos.

I had fanuc servos working with Acorn using this method. (step direction)

More
22 Apr 2024 17:37 #298853 by vre
Which other servo drivers can drive fanuc motors except allen bradley 3000?
For example fanuc servomotors in the range 2.5-5kw

More
25 Apr 2024 11:41 #299063 by spumco

Which other servo drivers can drive fanuc motors except allen bradley 3000?
For example fanuc servomotors in the range 2.5-5kw

Copely Controls Xenus series go up to 20A continuous, 40A max, and are just as 'agnostic' about the motors as the AB Ultra 3K drives.  Moreso, I think, as the Copley's can accept a wider range of encoder signals (depending on the model).

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds