The LinuxCNC "Rigid Router" an open-source dual z-axis gantry machine

More
10 Aug 2024 20:36 - 10 Aug 2024 20:39 #307439 by natester
Hi all, I recently designed an open-source CNC router. My goal was to make a rigid, medium-format CNC router that can self-manufacture new machines and not require any specialized equipment for squaring the build.

All the design files, LinuxCNC configuration files, and build info are on my blog:  blog.nathantsoi.com/article/rigid-router-cnc

The design is based on 4590 aluminum extrusion and CNC machined parts that self-index on the frame, so no extra alignment tools are necessary:

I used closed-loop servo motors, but steppers should also work fine.

Here is the back of the X-Axis:

I also decided to use an old computer with an onboard parallel port, to save on cost. I built all the electronics into an old mac pro case, which looks pretty rad.

I also added a cheap PCIe parallel port and used it as an input-mode device for an MPG jog pendant that I also designed:

Finally, I added a button panel with physical buttons matching the GMocappy soft buttons and some potentiometers to control feed rates, which is really handy when I need to quickly change the feed rate or stop the running program.

I hope this is useful for folks who are interested in building their own machine from scratch.
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Aug 2024 20:39 by natester.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2024 23:39 #307450 by tommylight
Very nice build, thank you.
Reminds me, i have a mac pro with cnc controls in it somewhere in the shop, pretty sure it is under the main table (out of 11 tables).
Are those 4590 made by Bosch/rexroth ? I had plenty of those, now i have some very short parts! :( The best thing is they work with M8 nuts/bolts perfectly and the aluminium is very high quality as you can tighten and loosen those bolts hundred of times without issues, in the same place! :)

More
12 Aug 2024 16:14 #307560 by natester
Thank you! Yep, they're 4590 extrusions, but I'm not sure who makes them. They can be ordered cut to length from 8020.net/45-4590.html though, which is super convenient. And yes, I agree, the flexibility of being able to loosen and move then re-tighten the bolts/t-nuts around is great!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds