cheap and easy hardware for a student

More
22 Nov 2010 09:33 #5523 by eslavko
michaelpollak wrote:

thank you for your reply.

the question is now, what driver and what steppers to use. and that's where i need your help.
i'd like to build a cheap testing system. which would be possible to build with only printer-steppers and some easy to use chips.
the problem here is that this systems are (afaik) not really extendable, because of the lack of power to controll heavier machinery.
are there driver boards available, that can work with cheap and small printer steppers - but also would be able to control stronger equipment when the stepper motors are exchanged?

i'll get some uln's on monday and test my motors, check if they are working and if i understand their working correct.
can i really use emc to control such a minimal test-environment?

thank you again for reading and replying, your forum is a great help to me.

EMC can druve such thing.
I have controller based on www.romanblack.com/lini.htm but I got it further (redesigned) stripped out PIC and Put that work to EMC. But I need to change source for EMC. All needed is in development version but I didn't check if it is on some precompiled live CD'd. (Basicaly in stepgem is mode 15 what is cudtom step waveform)
In this way We can drive near anithyng.
So if you motor's are rated under 0.5A then just stuck with ULN's (cheap) but if you have stronger motor's then use something stronger. If you know electronic's then build it, if you not know electronic then just buy that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2010 11:00 #5553 by michaelpollak
if i get that right i have two ways to get emc compatible hardware up and running.

1: very cheap, 2 ULNs and found small motors.
like this axis.unpy.net/etchcnc
here is even a emc config file, so it's working for sure www.linuxcnc.org/component/option,com_ku...tart,0/lang,english/

2: mdlcnc rc-letmathe.de/product_info.php?cPath=61...0549e943124aee0e788d
for a two axis machine its < 150€, which is ok i think.
i'm not sure if the small steppers with ULNs would be able to drive a dremel engraver or simmilar, mdlcnc would be - right?
i cant find anything online if or how the mdlcnc is usable with emc. i guess it is, but can anybody tell me for sure?

i fear that configuring the machine will be a really big step to understand, so example configs and electronics that work for sure would be good to have.

@andy i think the ebay way is more interesting for bigger projects. for a first project i really want to learn and be able to understand the basics. a fully developed black-box electronic isn't the way to go i think.
but i will keep your link in mind, this driver board looks great for a upgraded machine.

More
23 Nov 2010 12:23 #5555 by andypugh
michaelpollak wrote:

if i get that right i have two ways to get emc compatible hardware up and running.

1: very cheap, 2 ULNs and found small motors.
like this axis.unpy.net/etchcnc
here is even a emc config file, so it's working for sure www.linuxcnc.org/component/option,com_ku...tart,0/lang,english/

2: mdlcnc rc-letmathe.de/product_info.php?cPath=61...0549e943124aee0e788d
for a two axis machine its < 150, which is ok i think.
i'm not sure if the small steppers with ULNs would be able to drive a dremel engraver or simmilar, mdlcnc would be - right?
i cant find anything online if or how the mdlcnc is usable with emc. i guess it is, but can anybody tell me for sure?

i fear that configuring the machine will be a really big step to understand, so example configs and electronics that work for sure would be good to have.

@andy i think the ebay way is more interesting for bigger projects. for a first project i really want to learn and be able to understand the basics. a fully developed black-box electronic isn't the way to go i think.
but i will keep your link in mind, this driver board looks great for a upgraded machine.

(everything quoted without the Euro symbol, which breaks the forum.)

Actually, the mdlcnc board looks pretty much identical to the one I linked on eBay.

Don't worry too much about EMC2 compatibility, EMC2 can drive almost anything, and anything is can't drive tends to be seen as a challenge by the developers.

More
23 Nov 2010 14:49 #5556 by michaelpollak
the one from ebay is stronger and has the power to run bigger motors - when i got that right.
i'm from austria, so a board from germany is less expensive to import for me than one from (mostly overseas) ebay.

i didn't want to sound ungrateful, sorry. thank you for your input.

:) as a nerd and tinkerer i always tend to say "it's possible".
and it's pretty true, today pretty much everything is possible and can be done and built - with the expertise to get it running.

but in this case i am a little cautious, because it's hard enough to get that thing going to begin with. some "known-to-work" system with sample config-files would be amazing.
well i guess i need to test it to find it out. this system (2 as mentioned above) is the best idea for the moment i think. i'll build the mechanics on the weekend and order the electronic-parts on friday.

any inputs are welcome, esp. if you have used this driver board or know any details about running it with emc2 - thank you all.

More
23 Nov 2010 15:04 #5558 by andypugh
michaelpollak wrote:

i'm from austria, so a board from germany is less expensive to import for me than one from (mostly overseas) ebay.

Most of the eBay stuff comes direct from China or Hong Kong, so it doesn't matter that much where you are.

but in this case i am a little cautious, because it's hard enough to get that thing going to begin with. some "known-to-work" system with sample config-files would be amazing.

For stepper motor systems Stepconf should get you going very quickly. You only really need to know which pin on the P-Port connector is which. The step timing parameters can be handy, but the defaults are conservative enough to work with just about anything.

More
23 Nov 2010 16:23 #5566 by step4linux

andypugh wrote:Most of the eBay stuff comes direct from China or Hong Kong, so it doesn't matter that much where you are.

Also the letmathe is from china of course :cheer:
But if you buy from a local reseller, there might be somebody you can contact in case of questions.

Gerd

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds