compumill 4000 retrofit

More
02 Jan 2011 12:41 - 02 Jan 2011 12:44 #6361 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:compumill 4000 retrofit
All of my I/O is 24 vdc and the 7i37TA handles it just fine... If you read the manual for the 7i37 you will see the output voltage MAX is 48V and no MIN is listed. The 7i37TA will switch the voltage you put on each isolated output.

Sounds like your taking your time and crossing all the T's and dotting all the i's before you leap...

My Hardinge CHNC had a main interface board that had some logic chips on it, I removed that as it was used by the old control and ran each input and output from the 7i37's to the device by putting a row of terminal blocks in place of the board.

John
Last edit: 02 Jan 2011 12:44 by BigJohnT.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2011 14:14 #6366 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:compumill 4000 retrofit
dewey525 wrote:

The 7I37 states that it outputs 48vdc.

It doesn't actually "output" anything, it provides 8 EMC2-controlled solid state switches rated at 1A and a maximum of 48V. You might even be able to bypass the relays and use those switches directly, but relays are rather cheaper to replace if it goes wrong.
View the outputs on the board as pairs of relay contacts and you should find the wiring easier to work out. They probably only conduct in one direction.

More
02 Jan 2011 16:05 #6370 by dewey525
Replied by dewey525 on topic Re:compumill 4000 retrofit
HA HA HA ......
Ok for some reason I was in belief that the board itself was creating 48vdc to provide its outputs. Yes I am ensuring that there are no surprises once this task is undertaken. This machine should have already been running its intended production. Downtime can not be afforded for a long time. I know that once I have all necessary supplies I will have a better grasp on how to configure this system, but for now its all being built on paper. Thank you again for clarifying!

More
04 Jan 2011 09:32 #6415 by will911
Replied by will911 on topic Re:compumill 4000 retrofit
Hi dewey if you cecide on upgrading to a new contoller I might be interested in the spare parts.

More
05 Jan 2011 20:05 #6451 by dewey525
Thank you for the offer, and be sure to keep on touch. We are working towards the upgrade of this machine, and may be able to supply you with spare parts. If we ever get back a working controller. I am doubtful that they will return a working controller as they could not even provide us with a fully working machine, just a 6600 lb paperweight. I do offer this suggestion at this point. Do not buy a machine from an ebay auction!!! No matter how high the seller rating is. Granted if I ever see this machine work as it was bought I will gladly retract this statement.

More
05 Jan 2011 23:42 - 05 Jan 2011 23:44 #6456 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:compumill 4000 retrofit
I bought all my machines from e-bay and 100% positive feedback is my first clue as well as more than just a few sales. The last VMC I purchased the guy went out of his way to "make it right" and even built a coolant tank and installed a coolant pump before shipping it to me and this was not part of the original bargain... I did go and look at one one time with a questionable feedback and came right back home with my money in my pocket. It's always a bit of a gamble but never give feedback till your satisfied you got what you paid for also file a claim with e-bay if the sale was misrepresented.

John
Last edit: 05 Jan 2011 23:44 by BigJohnT.

More
06 Jan 2011 00:16 #6459 by dewey525
Thats good to hear. Unfortunately I did buy from a seller of used equipment that had good feedback along with multiple sales. It is unfortunate on both our parts as its frustrating for us to wait to see if our machine is mechanically sound, and unfortunate for them as so far they have rebuilt the spindle of the first machine we purchased, ( which was advertised in good working order) but in repair they damaged that machine to the point it was un-repairable then asked us to pay more for a replacement machine ( same model with same controller) which arrived with a bad controller.
Id leave feedback but its taken 4 months to produce a delivered machine, so ebay does not even recognize the sale. We registered complaints with paypal and by law we must give them the opportunity to make good on the machine. So Im not saying that they are not trying even tho it may seem so, but its just been bad for both us and the merchant. All we can do at this point is work together to remedy the situation as a resultant ship-back and charge-back is bad for both companies.
So for now I apologize for going off on a frustration tangent that has nothing to do with these boards or even the topic I started, and will continue on with studying my soon to be control upgrade so I can produce some chips and not loose more hair. LOL You guys are great !! Thank you for continually reading and helping.

More
06 Jan 2011 02:57 #6463 by will911
O.K. Sounds good.
The compumill 4000 fly's!
I just did some nice 3D milling today with the machine on drip feed.
You'll like the machine a lot when it's fixed.
I still have trouble with mine sometimes Though, the X shuts down on rapid so I need to check it out.

When I first got the machine it was the same as yours, the reset would not reset. It was the power in the building (it was 245v) and the machine came set for 208v, I switched the jumpers and it reset.

The second time I had that problem was a power surge that burned out a fusable link on the bottom of the card with the 9 vertically stacked relay;s

The third time was just the reset button on the main set of relay's, It was the one in the middle, I think it's #3

peace

More
06 Jan 2011 04:13 #6465 by dewey525
I have the mill configured for 230v. The power supply for the dynapath is way out of spec giving max voltage of 30 v for its 24 source +- 19v for its 15 source and 4.75 for its 5 source ( way high, way high, too low ). As this is a modified power supply from parts-n-smarts to work with this controller its hard for me to know if it will actually work with these out of tolerance voltages. The aux board is bad and that has been confirmed by dynapath as the main problem, but as the power supply is a mod they recommend replacement.

Parts-n-smarts says that this control was one of a few 20's built in the blue controller cabinet, at first they thought it was a 10. Dynapath makes a great control, but I just dont want to have to repair this thing every time i have a power issue ( we are in the woods and have power outages at least 6 times a yr ). The servo system cost a lot to repair itself so having an old controller that is limited, and dying just makes no sense for our application.

If your x axis is causing you a problem look back to one of the first replies in this thread and there is a link containing the manual for the baldor drives compumill used with a troubleshooting section. Dynapath says they sold compumill the control racks to compumill, and compumill did all their own work with the controllers. Dynapaths actual schematics show servo dynamics equipment paired with their control systems, but Dynapath says compumill used baldor and my servo dynamics cards are replacements for failed baldor parts. I have also been warned that the dynapath 20 can blow the aux board if a power outage occurs and the rs-232 is connected to a source so keep it disconnected when not in use.

Emc2 along with a few other tweaks ( like the spindle VFD) will take this machine out of the 80's and into the 21st century. Yet still retain that value of ideals it was built upon for consistent reliability that is only found on equipment that is very expensive today. Id rather have this old mill and upgrade it than some of the china made mills found everywhere that were in our budget range. Every step taken with this piece of equipment has been planed and executed under scrutiny to ensure no wrong turns were made. No damage caused by mistakes, and the same can be said about the upgrade to EMC2. That is the only way to ensure reliability. Once we complete the new control will911 maybe you will upgrade too. Im pretty sure we will be able to help you, as we will have mapped out this machine to its entirety.:lol:

More
06 Jan 2011 07:03 - 06 Jan 2011 09:59 #6468 by will911
I would think that the 4.75v is O.K. and I would think that you could use a resister to lower the voltage on the other ones,not sure though. I checked the power on my transformer and it's good, it's the original one that came with it. You could always replace that one you have with an original if you can find one. I noticed some dynapath parts on ebay and they are priced way out of site.

My compumill is a 1995 ,dynapath 20 MU. I'm not sure if it is the exact same as yours.

How much do you think it's going to cost you to upgrade to that new controller? I would have to say that you are right for upgrading, it's a heavy, well built machine.
Thanks for the tip on the X I'll check it out
Peace
Last edit: 06 Jan 2011 09:59 by will911. Reason: error

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds