Starter Kit Reviews?

More
14 Apr 2011 00:08 #8886 by earnshae
Hi,

I am new to CNC machining.

Eventually I would like to completely build a complete cnc machine from my own design, but to start I have decided to purchase a starter kit, and work from there, since I think it will be easier to figure out the concepts and cut parts for a new mill if you have a working mill to play with,

I have been looking at this 7x7 mill from zen tool works and was wondering if anyone out there had purchased one and could give me some feed back on it.

www.zentoolworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=112

Can any one point me to any reveiws for other such "starter" kits?

Thanks, for the feedback.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2011 12:20 #8899 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Starter Kit Reviews?
That looks like a fairly decent well thought out "educational" class of machine.

If you don't expect to cut metal or make pcb boards and the like but only use to to learn how a cnc machine works and maybe send a few wood splinters flying outt you won't be disappointed. If however if you expect to make metal parts with any kind of precision you WILL be disappointed with any of the wooden "educational" class machines.

The next level up is the "hobby" class where the machine is all metal but still might not have things like ball screws and limit/home switches.

John

More
14 Apr 2011 20:22 #8916 by earnshae
Replied by earnshae on topic Re:Starter Kit Reviews?
Thanks for the comments.

Can you think of any other "educational" class machines that might be worth looking at or even a low end "Hobbiest" class machine? I have looked at a few but recomendations from people with some experiance in the subject matter would be very welcome.

I am not looking for something huge, just something that I will be able to observe the software, drive circuit, and motor relationships. From there I can "get big"

My basic thinking is get something simple that works and then replace all the peices one at a time so I can understand what everything does and how they interact.

More
14 Apr 2011 20:54 #8918 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Starter Kit Reviews?
I've never looked for machines in the "educational" class so I don't know of any. That one does seem to be well thought out for that type of a machine. You might do some googling to see if you find someone that owns one, also post on the mailing list to get the best coverage of the EMC community.

John

More
14 Apr 2011 22:57 #8919 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Starter Kit Reviews?
earnshae wrote:

Can you think of any other "educational" class machines that might be worth looking at or even a low end "Hobbiest" class machine?.

Maybe a second-hand Denford Triac to retrofit?

Hmm, cgi.ebay.com/Denford-CNC-Hobby-Lathe-Mill-/360358969556
(Check the pictures, there is a lathe and a mill)

They really are very little, but were made by a proper machine tool company.
www.lathes.co.uk/viceroy/index.html

Get them working and you will almost certainly get more than your money back.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds