free cam

More
16 Feb 2012 17:24 #17722 by bengineer
free cam was created by bengineer
Periodically I'll scan the web for free/affordable CAD and CAM packages for the day when I have to make a decision. The Alibre package seems quite functional and affordable, but I noticed that their CAM is based on Mecsoft software, so I dug around their website and found FreeMill:
www.mecsoft.com/freemill.shtml
Not sure if it's a full blown CAM package, but it can import models and export G code. And it says it's completely free. I noticed it's not on the partial list of CAM software (wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Cam) so I figured I'd bring it up.

Has anyone had experience/success with this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2012 17:58 #17723 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic Re:free cam
depends on your use , but yes it does work for most 2d work
and windows of course
rather than Linux

More
25 Feb 2012 01:33 - 25 Feb 2012 01:34 #18055 by AssassinXCV
Replied by AssassinXCV on topic Re:free cam
The problem with FreeMill is that it doesnt work for 3D milling. Say i put in an STL for a 1" thick gear, all it makes for the g-code is the finishing cut, it doesnt do any zigzag pattern to mill away any of the extra material. If you ran that code, it would try cutting 1" down worth of material, and that's sure to cause some problems.

For a free cam, i suggest HeeksCNC. If is very powerful, and a full fledge 3 Axis 3D cam. It is opensource, and is funded by donations. It works well for 2D and 3D, having features build specifically for the two types of machining. It's also a good cam since you learn little bits of how more advanced cams work. It is a software which is not just a step by step menu like on Cut3D, or VisualMill, or Freemill; but more like MasterCam, SprutCam, and more.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2012 01:34 by AssassinXCV.

More
18 Jul 2012 20:28 #22155 by diegoroman17
Replied by diegoroman17 on topic Re:free cam
I need a FreeCAM for Laser cutting engraver machine. I have searched in the web but dont have found nothing free to linux. Only CAM programs to Mill machines but laser machine nothing. I am controling the power laser with velocity of spindle commands. The unique cam software that I found with this characteristic is SheetCAM but it is commercial and demo version is very limited.

More
19 Jul 2012 11:27 #22181 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:free cam
diegoroman17 wrote:

I need a FreeCAM for Laser cutting engraver machine

Have you looked at dxf2gcode?

SheetCAM but it is commercial and demo version is very limited.

I am not sure if the Linux version is as limited as the Windows version. Which one are you using?

More
19 Jul 2012 15:53 #22209 by diegoroman17
Replied by diegoroman17 on topic Re:free cam
Yes. I try dxf2gcode but in CAM Laser Machines is posible set power laser in each layer of design CAD and this is not posible in dxf2gcode. I am using sheetcam in linux ubuntu 10.04 with RTAI LinuxCNC2.5 patch. It permit max 160 lines of G code, dont permit to simulate. Is very limited.

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds